Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
dcdmattison03
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Not seeing the issue or the conflict of interest. The price sounds right to me. Field trips are not cheap with the busses, the drivers, the gas, admission (if there is one) etc.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to buy a text book for my psych class that was huge,poorly put together with a ton of typos and it costs $200 the author was my instructor smdh I hate it when people peddle their stuff to a literally captured audience it seems unfair and your right a conflict of interest

klamomma2
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

That is expensive, we went to a pumpkin patch and got a pumpkin and go through a maze and only paid $10 for a 50 miles bus trip there, and then 50 back.

If the others cost the same I guess it wouldn't be a big deal but that just doesn't seem to add up.  And if it did cost that much because of the buses they should have walked.  

MamaLori
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

If the costs of each orchard are comparable then I don't see a conflict of interest, especially if the teacher/owner doesn't have the say in where they go. Our district owns the buses but they still charge for each trip that they are used for. One bus, no matter what distance, is $375 per day. That includes the cost of paying the driver their hourly wage for the length of the trip. There is no way that they could walk 300 children a mile in each direction. Can you even imagine the liability with that scenario? I think the cost is reasonable. But I do think that they should at least get to have an apple! When our school goes to the orchard each kid gets a small jug of cider and a small bag of apples or a pumpkin (they get to choose)

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM

The orchard near me is $15 to walk in.  Add the cost of the bus (need to pay the driver regardless of how short the ride is), the cider, doughnut and hotdog and I don't think 17 is that bad.  We had to walk an entire school (public preschool) down the street when there was a gas leak.  That was only about 150 kids and was crazy; I can't imagine actually choosing to do so with 300.  I don't see the conflict of interest.  Find out what the others in the area would cost for exactly the same trip.

Xynyth
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM
We just paid $2 for a similar trip but no lunch is included. I'm new to the whole field trip thing but $17 does seem like a lot, but maybe you live in a more expensive area than I do. I do agree that the orchard being owned by a member of staff could be a conflict of interest but it could also be a better deal kwim? I don't have anything to compare it to though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MammaPaparazza
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM
My dd just went on an orchard trip, it was 9 , dollars...she got no food (we, had to pack) and she got a small pumpkin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Cruella on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Look, Newbie, I never said it was that big of a deal. Never even said it was my kid's field trip.

But thanks for the snotty reply to my question.

Quoting michelleinfl:

They probably charge $17.00 to help cover for the kids that cannot or do not pay their way. If it's that big of a deal to you, do not allow your child to go.

maidjillian
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM

If it's a good deal, I think it's neat she has this available for students to visit.  The $17 is 100% profit.  There's the cost of fuel (buses are not fuel-efficient) among other costs.  $17 sounds like a bargain to me.

michelleinfl
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this

Hardly new, just don't post a lot. (I assume you mean Newbie as some sort of insult?) But, ok whatever. Obviously it is a big deal because you made an entire "snotty" post complaining about it and accusing the school of having a conflict of interest. The simplest solution is to opt out for your child. My reply was not snotty, you just read it that way.

Quoting Cindy18:

Look, Newbie, I never said it was that big of a deal. Never even said it was my kid's field trip.

But thanks for the snotty reply to my question.

Quoting michelleinfl:

They probably charge $17.00 to help cover for the kids that cannot or do not pay their way. If it's that big of a deal to you, do not allow your child to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN