Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Dd is going to a petting zoo and the cost is $9 lunch included. I think $17 for one child is at lot. Now 17 for child and parent is fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZoeCY
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Wow that's ridiculously priced!  However, if it is a competitive rate with the other orchards in the area I don't see the problem.  I know in previous years our schools have gone on orchard field trips that were about 20-30 miles away, each kid got a cup of cider, a doughnut, a bag of apples that they picked, and a small pumpkin and it was less than that.  Although this year may be different just based on the lack of rain we had this summer.  

lasombrs
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My son got a flier the other day about 2 different field trips. One to a farm just up the street, the other to a meuseum a few towns away. Neither included any food or spending money for the children. Nothing would be coming home with them and they would not eat if you didnt send it with them. It was $45 a child for k-grade 4 children. Our son is special needs and if we wanted to be polite and help chaperone since a field trip would be hard to handle him on we would also need to spend the $45 for one of us to attend. I think $17 and getting any kind of food and drink while out is amazing.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM
My daughter is going on a trip later this month. It cost $15. They are going on a trip to a corn maze and doing a hay ride. Now the location is 45 mins each way. But they have to either buy a bag lunch from the school or bring thier own bag lunch.
beanielips
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

My guess is the $17 covers the bus cost as well, and those are pretty high (much higher than I had ever anticipated when I was planning field trips).  I am guessing that as a teacher, she/he is probably giving some kind of a deal.

If you are really concerned, contact the other orchards, price it our for the same exact thing, find out bus cost and any other cost that the district would be responsible for (i.e. insurance), then figure the price per student.  Remember to include the cost for chaperons as well (students typically pay the chaperons way).  If you come up with a cheaper cost per student, make an appointment with the principal and calmly ask if the other orchards would be an option.  But this way, you are armed with a reason other than conflict of interest.

foxysugarlove
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I agree with this. Although $17 seems very expensive to me. my dd's field trips are typically in the $5-10 range, and they've done the orchard trip too.

Quoting chinosruca:

How much would it cost at the other Orchards? If she is offering fair/competitive rates, it wouldn't bother me. If others are cheaper or have an overall better package for the same price, it would be a huge conflict of interest.

illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Usually the owners would give their own students a better deal and make more of an effort to go out of their way for the kids.

I think you are reading too much into this. Did your kid have fun? Did they like the donut? Did they learn something? If so, count it as $17 well spent and move on.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Wow, your field trips are expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Lol. My school has their own special accounting "books" that they force everyone to buy, also around $200, and its just a shrink wrap bag around a stack of papers with 3 hole punches in it. You have to buy your own binder to put it in, and you can't sell it back because its not really a book and they can't be sure all of the pages are there! UGH.

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

I had to buy a text book for my psych class that was huge,poorly put together with a ton of typos and it costs $200 the author was my instructor smdh I hate it when people peddle their stuff to a literally captured audience it seems unfair and your right a conflict of interest

confused0701
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Hell my dd last year went on a trip to the air force base, the park and had pizza and soda and it only cost $3 per kid!  And the air force base and park were 30 miles away!  Sorry but I don't think the kids shoud be going to the orchard the teacher owns that just seems like way to much of a conflict!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)