Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lordgodempress
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM

That happens a lot.  Usually the school is getting better deals if they know someone at the top so to speak.  I dont see the problem with it.

iansusie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting banana-bear:

I can't believe people want something for nothing. Y'all are outrageous. It's not a bad deal and I don't see it as a conflict of interest.

It is not wanting something for nothing but $17 for a field trip like she described is way too much. My kid is going to a pumpkin patch an hour away and the fee is $9 and that includes a pumpkin. They can pack a lunch or get a baggeds one from the cafeteria (at the parents expense). Parents/chaperones pay $9 too plus $4.50 for cafeteria lunch or they can bag one for themselves.

$17 for a 2 mile round trip and a small cup of apple cider, a hot dog a doughnut and water is just outrageous

Buying hotdogs and buns in bulk makes them cheaper, so lets say a hot dog would be no more than $2

Water bottles would be at the most 1.00 per child

Doughnut 50 cents

cup of apple cider $2.00 (and I am being generous) 

praisinghim2day
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say that as long as a good deal was cut for the school, no harm no foul.  Teachers (imo) are grossly underpaid.  It's great that the school is open to helping to support one of it's employees' outside ventures. :)  They're taking care of their own, in a sense.

natesmom1228
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

$17 and they don't even get apples? I am not sure I would be happy about that.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I'm having a hard time with this without knowing the cost of living out there.  Whereabouts do you live?

If you have concerns, just bring it up with the school.  Call the other orchards and find out what they are offering, and tell the school they should go with the best deal.

LittleBirdFly
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Just call the others and find out how much they charge, maybe the teacher was trying to make some extra money?

LittleBirdFly
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

yes I would be thinking they get maybe 2 apples to go home with at least

Quoting natesmom1228:

$17 and they don't even get apples? I am not sure I would be happy about that.

Knightquester
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I think it does sound like a conflict of interest, but then if the teacher is an upstanding good teacher and role model at the school it may have been the safest and most logical place to take 300 kids.  Also one would hope that the teacher cut her prices for the students of a school she teaches.

The thing is that is a lot of money.  My children just came from an apple orchard school trip that was $14 a child.  It offered children a pie making class where they could learn how to make apple pic and bring home with their own apple pie.  They also did a tour of the orchards where the children could pick a set amount of apples to bring home, learn more about apple orchards and they did a scavenger hunt with the kids in the orchards before feeding the children fresh apple cider and apple scones.

I do know one year we paid $17 a child for an apple orchard trip, it included a hay ride through the orchard, making donuts they would eat later with cider, to me it was fun but not as educational and engaging as the one we just came back from this year.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM
This is how I would feel about it too

Quoting chinosruca:

How much would it cost at the other Orchards? If she is offering fair/competitive rates, it wouldn't bother me. If others are cheaper or have an overall better package for the same price, it would be a huge conflict of interest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

my daughter is going to an apple orchard later this month.. the PTA is covering the field trip, but parents have to pay for transportation.. which is $6.00 a child.  I'm assuming your PTA isn't covering the trip, and I'm also assuming it's not covering the transporation.

And regardless if it's a teacher's orchard or not, people still have to run a business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)