Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......

Posted by   + Show Post

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (51-60):
dilateyourmind
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM

We are going to a similar filed trip in my area. 10 bucks for the kids. 8 bucks for chaperones. We have to pack our own meals.

timswife_momof2
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

i just paid $10 for my kid to go to a pumpkin patch but she gets to take home a pumpkin so that is cool. but i could have bought her a pumpkin cheaper lol. but it is about thekids getting a break from schoolwork and getting to have some fun.  i wouldnt worry about it, yeh the teacher made a little money but she opened her orchard up for little kids and took care of them while they are there. i think its sweet.

jessi2girls
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm willing to bet about $4.25-$8.50 is just for the transportation portion of it... making the price of the actual admissions fee and food at $8.50-$12.75. and cost of food per child is around $2.50-$3.00 (cider is NOT cheap this year, nor is a bottle of water really).

so really that puts admission between $5.50-$10..

(and as you can see most that say their prices are $10 do not include meals).

uriahadel
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yea, I wouldn't send my kid... actually my kid would miss that field trip and I would take her on a family field trip instead that would be way better if I wasn't homeschooling that is...

Sounds to be she is trying to cheat people out of their money by using the school system...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Was the trip compulsory? Was alternate programming offered at the school for kids who didn't go? What was the educational justification for this trip?

And like PPs asked, was this rate competitive with other orchards in the area?

dilateyourmind
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting banana-bear:

I can't believe people want something for nothing. Y'all are outrageous. It's not a bad deal and I don't see it as a conflict of interest.

It is not wanting something for nothing but $17 for a field trip like she described is way too much. My kid is going to a pumpkin patch an hour away and the fee is $9 and that includes a pumpkin. They can pack a lunch or get a baggeds one from the cafeteria (at the parents expense). Parents/chaperones pay $9 too plus $4.50 for cafeteria lunch or they can bag one for themselves.

$17 for a 2 mile round trip and a small cup of apple cider, a hot dog a doughnut and water is just outrageous

Buying hotdogs and buns in bulk makes them cheaper, so lets say a hot dog would be no more than $2

Water bottles would be at the most 1.00 per child

Doughnut 50 cents

cup of apple cider $2.00 (and I am being generous) 

What about money to pay the employees at th eorchard to do all that for 300 kids? Not being a msart ass for once. Just asking.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
That seems high to me, the total fee for 3rd grade was $45. That includes four field trips, newsletter, class shirt, and more. Two of the field trips are 18 miles away.
mama2gg
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

5100 bucks for apple juice, a bus ride, bottle of water, and a hotdog HELL NO that is totally wrong!!! It SHOULD have been more like 5 bucks a kid!!

little.worthen
by Tess on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Tht doesnt mean they have gas in it...As a mother, I'd be pissed if they made my kid was two miles.. Of course he's only 7. And my cousin is handicapped and uses a walker so that wouldn't be happening.. Honestly if it was a field trip to an orchard that a teacher didn't own, would you be complaining?

Quoting Cindy18:

This is a district that already buses. I would think that it would be cheaper since they already have the buses.

The kids could have walked! 1 mile there and 1 mile home.

I just think it's expensive for what they got.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

If they are giving the same or better deal than the other orchards I don't see it as a an issue.

The money probably mainly covers the bus. It's outrageously expensive to bus students. It makes field trips really tricky.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperWoman8
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

isn't it common for kids to take trips to places where someone at the school has some kind of connection?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN