Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My 8 year old disappeared from school yesterday...*EDIT*

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 62 Replies
2 moms liked this

at least, that's the indication I got when I received an automated phone call at 9:30 a.m. telling me that she was absent. Since my husband drives the girls to school, I had no idea whether a.) she didn't go inside the school and something happened to her, or b.) they had all three been in an accident on the way to school and I just didn't know about it.

I called the school secretary and she had to check the classrooms and call me back...talk about a LONG 10 minutes! It turned out that it was a mistake and that everything was fine.

I'm not happy with the school regarding the whole thing; first of all, if my child is missing from school it should not take an hour and a half to notify me. Secondly, the way that the 3rd grade teacher "takes" attendance is to have each child flip some card that indicates whether they want the hot or cold lunch. My daughter forgot (she does that), so she was marked absent. I have no problem with teaching them to be responsible, but I think the teacher should double-check, so that parents won't get freaked out like I did!

EDIT: I emailed her principal this morning (I would have emailed her teacher as well, but her address isn't on the website) and let him know what happened. He didn't know that her teacher was taking attendance that way, and he agreed that it should be done better and said that he would talk to her about it. I then emailed the superintendent of the district regarding the automated telephone system, because she is responsible for any changes that need to be made. She also agreed that 90 minutes wasn't appropriate for elementary school-age students and said that she would take care of it.

I always contact the appropriate person at school when I have an issue with something that is going on. I trust them to keep my children safe, and expect them to live up to that trust.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Eeek! We get those calls at 5pm

We didn't get the automated call for 3 days when I know my son was home for his broken arm. They were all excused so it wasn't a big deal but I should have got tje calls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Our school doesn't call the parents at all. But if they did and that happened I'd be highly irrate!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildCat73
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:41 AM

We call our school ( requirement) if our child is absent. If we fail to call by 9 Am they call us. I had a call come in once asking if my daughter was ok. I said yeah why. They said she is not here. I was like wait she was on the bus. She went to school. However she was absent for two days for Strep Throat and she brought in her Dr note in that day. They called down to the classroom it was anther girl ( name was entirely different SMH). They apologized.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM

It does take a while for the attendance to be put in the computer.We don't get a call until that evening.

You need to let your DD know that she can't "forget" that. It's her responsilbity to flip her card. What would be the lesson on responsilbity if the teacher went behind the kids.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:29 AM
4 moms liked this

Highly irrate? At who, the school for calling or the child for not doing what she is suppose to do?

Quoting Pink_Love:

Our school doesn't call the parents at all. But if they did and that happened I'd be highly irrate!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

It's good you got a call, and I'm glad it was just a misunderstanding.

We get an automated call about 10 a.m. if we haven't call our child in late or sick. I know this b/c I forgot to call ds1 in sick once when he was there : ) School starts at 9, so I think that's a reasonable amount of time to wait and see if someone is just tardy and to get everything entered in.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

We don't get our automated call until the evening.

In all honesty, I would have called my husband while waiting for the school to call me back.  I also wouldn't have paniced because I know that if there is an accident, law inforcement informs the family as I've been through that before.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I wouldn't be upset at the school how are they supposed to know my child is going to be at school that day? Now I agree with you that the teacher shouldn't have marked a child she can clearly see absent that is lazy.
timswife_momof2
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

wow yeh the school should be more on top of things, and that is sucky way of taking attendance. my kids teacher makes everyone stand up when she calls there name.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We don't get an automated call until 9 pm after.  I think, as shaken as you might have been, that you need to put the responsibility where it lies, ON YOUR DAUGHTER!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN