Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

being bullied by students & teachers with no relief.

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, my name is Charlie. I am a single mom witth 4 kids. We are not originally from the Dayton, Ohio area...so I feel like we don't really fit in. Anyway, my son Michael, is 11 and is being bullied really bad at school. It has gotten so bad that my friends' children that attend school have come to me and said, "hey, you know such & such" about the incidents that are occuring. This school started out great but then, the kids started again. He's fat, he's not cool, and so on. In the last month it's turned physical. The first physical incident occurred when they were at recess playing a game called 4-square. Mikey got the kid out & the kid was mad so he shoved Mikey. In that incident the one para-professional grabbed Mikey"s arm really hard, so he threw his down towards the floor to break her grip. #1, she said he pushed her. #2, she threatened him, and there were other students as witnesses. She was out for Mikey since then. Her role in the bullying is allowing these kids to bully him & she looks for ways to get him in trouble. He got his behavior color changed because he turned around to return something borrowed to the student. In the three pyhsical incidents Mikey has gotten written up and suspended but the other child/children involved have not. Now, Mikey is facing assault charges because the last incident yesterday, they say he punched the teacher. Now, the video tape does not show that is what happened. The tape shows him throwing his arm down to break her grip. His fist is open & out in mid air. They insist he punched her. I don't know what to do. I withdrew Mikey from the school but they said they are still going forward with the assault charge & hearing. They lie. I have proved so many times with the witnesses. I know this is going to sound really bad but sadly, it's true. We are white...and the people that are bullying Mikey are not. The teacher, the students, the principal, the school board, safety & security.....everyone but us.  I had this meeting this morning the look I got was all about the woman being disgusted & above us. I am not racist, please understand...the best man at my wedding was black for God sakes! However, it is clear to me that the people in this school system are very racist. What do I do? Does anyone know an advocacy group for white people that can help us?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
If the video tapes prove that he didn't punch her, I would get a copy before they destroy it! Gather your witnesses and the evidence that he is innocent and sue them for the false charges, bullying and not keeping your child safe while in their care. I am not one to jump to suing but, it may need to come to that. Good luck!
cjsbmom
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Does your son have an IEP? You mention a paraprofessional, so that made me wonder if he's special needs. If he is, the school cannot prosecute him for anything.

I'd be consulting a child advocate about this incident, and do it now before the school takes any further action.

Rbrown72707
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM

You mention the paraprofessional.  Where is the teacher in all of this?  Poor kid.  It sounds awful.

charlieclark727
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:26 AM
I tried to get a copy. They told me it was legal issue & I can't a one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlieclark727
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:36 AM
To reply to cjsbmom first, he had an IEP but the school said he wasn't special needs enough to qualify anymore. He is on the autism spectrum & has add. He's been in speech, he's been in occupational therapy.
To reply to Rbrown72707, the paraprofessional is doing ....or not doing these at recess & times when the teacher isn't present, not only that but she is going around the teacher to the principal. We had a meeting with the teacher & the assistant principal, the outcome was that the para was not permitted to touch my son again & she was not permitted to write him up anymore. She bypasses that by going to the principal...who allow her to do these things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM

In the district where I taught we teachers WERE NOT allowed to touch students.  That most surely included paraprofessionals.   There was a special team trained for situations where intervention was needed.  This team included the principal and the school counselor.  I was always in a school of close to 500 kids. 

The paraprofessional, the first one I saw you mention, grabbing your son by the arm,  was out of line.  That to me was an impulsive act.

However, if your child punched the teacher as you say, that is something serious on your son's part.  Most surely the teacher had to document that incident.  The school can take action on that.

If that incident has been documented by the teacher and is on file, the teacher will be backed up.

It is good that you have withdrawn your child from this school. 

I am sorry to hear that the school is going through with the assault charges.

What concerns me the most is the lying.  I have seen for myself that happens-among aides in particular.

I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best, that for the charges you get all the support you need.

Hopefully with a fresh start, in a safe setting,  things will go better.

((Hugs)) to both your son and you,

Veronica

Quoting Rbrown72707:

You mention the paraprofessional.  Where is the teacher in all of this?  Poor kid.  It sounds awful.

charlieclark727
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

In the incident where she says my son punched her, there 6 people grabbing all over him, from all sides & this is on tape. He jerked his arm away from her, he DID NOT punch her. This is on tape. I have the principal on tape saying, EXACTLY: "If you had just foight & come in, it woul've been fine. The write up is for assaulting a staff member." This is significant because on SATURDAY in the MAIL I got another write for expulsion that says: assault & battery: Michael punched a student in the face.  - That's it, no date, no incident, nothing. The hearing is scheduled for Tuesday Oct 9, 2012 at 10am. I have already withdrawn him from the school last week. She wrote that write up on Thursday, I was in her office Thursday - why didn't she give it to me then? Why mail it so I get it on Saturday, knowing I couldn't get legal help that quickly. My son is being set up.

Precious333
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM
im so sorry about wha is going on. I would defnitely get the police involved....even if u can get a restraining order and leavethat school! Have you considered an alternative way of schooling? private or homeschool?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Its really hard to get a true take on these posts when there isn't input from the school. I find it really hard to believe they just randomly picked your dS to make his life hell. There MUST be more to the story. I'm not saying you are lying, just that there must be more....

That said,it has escalated to where your DS is being watched and picked on for every little thing so you are right to pull him and bring him into a safe environment while you deal with the charges and accusations.

If your DS has autism, you need him with people who are trained to deal with his issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Tske it to the paper and television. The school board is out of control. If you have the proper docuemtnatin and witnesses, then that should be enough. Have the witnesses give you signed/notorized affidavits too. Don't depned on anadvacy group, stand up for yourelf loudly!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)