Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Would you, or have you named your son what most people might consider a "girl" name? Some examples are Tracy, Shannon, Lindsey and Hilary.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Replies (101-107):
MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

what it boils down to is what name YOU like it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks it has to be something you are comfortable with I read an article about making sure the initials dont spell anything like a.s.s. or f.a.t you know kids can be cruel. For me personally I had a name that was very popular and many of my classmates shared the name with me and I hated that so I wanted my child to be unique but not too unique that she would have trouble getting a job Lol My dd name fits her perfect and we get complimented all the time but honestly it wouldnt bother me if no one liked it cause I dont get my validation from others kwim good luck hope you find a name that is a perfect fit

sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM
No way
bellawomen
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM
I don't know why Allison is the only name in all creation to get the exemption. That's weird.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I know a church pastor named Hillary. Most of those names are traditional boys names in other countries, especially Ireland, so the parents are just following their ancestry. I have three male cousins who have "girlish" names, two who are brothers named Emile (em-meal) and Marius (mary-us) and another named Avery, our family is french ancestry-wise, so those are common 100% boys names to us. If my next child, whose due in a month, is a boy, his name will be Robin, which a lot of people on here think is a girls name for some reason. My sons name is Tate, which one person once mistook for a girls name. Then again, looking at some of the names listed on here, I consider names like Adrian, Hayden, Mason, Teagan, Quinn, Jamie, Angel, anything that ends in -son besides Allison, to be a 100% boys name, I live in a pretty traditional small town, here naming your daughter names like those, you might as well be naming her Bob.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Because of it's origin. 99% of -son names mean "son of ____" and are masculine names, Alison isn't, it was originally a nickname for Alice and has never been a masculine name. Names like Jackson, Addison, Carson, Emerson, etc., on the other hand mean "son of ___" and are boys names.

Quoting bellawomen:

I don't know why Allison is the only name in all creation to get the exemption. That's weird.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I know a church pastor named Hillary. Most of those names are traditional boys names in other countries, especially Ireland, so the parents are just following their ancestry. I have three male cousins who have "girlish" names, two who are brothers named Emile (em-meal) and Marius (mary-us) and another named Avery, our family is french ancestry-wise, so those are common 100% boys names to us. If my next child, whose due in a month, is a boy, his name will be Robin, which a lot of people on here think is a girls name for some reason. My sons name is Tate, which one person once mistook for a girls name. Then again, looking at some of the names listed on here, I consider names like Adrian, Hayden, Mason, Teagan, Quinn, Jamie, Angel, anything that ends in -son besides Allison, to be a 100% boys name, I live in a pretty traditional small town, here naming your daughter names like those, you might as well be naming her Bob.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I know it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, I never said it did.
My question was did YOU or would YOU name your son what some people might consider a "girl" name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachLifeMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I had a co-worker from my fist job name Donna and he's an older guy and my stepdad's friend name Kelly. Have a good friend name Shannon and Jaclyn. Also had a patient name Shelby and Michelle (pronounce Mike-helle).

kuntrygirl05
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I've got a Dakota and I know that is used for both. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)