Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

is this normal?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

so today some of the kids from my son's class came out with tickets for the circus. my son was not one of them. He said they gave them to kids that got their coloring page done in class and did a good job. he didn't finish. He was pretty upset.

I just said he needs to try harder that kids are going to get prizes for doing a good job from time to time.

I am sad for him though, it is something that is really hard for him, and it is the same teacher who basically said his one coloring page wasn't "great" when it was amazing compared to his normal coloring stuff.

regardless, it seems like circus tickets is an awfully large prize for a prize box?! what do you think?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansusie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I don't think it is the norm but are you sure they were admission tickets to "circus" tickets and not one of those tickets that give you a discount like buy one get one free?

Either way, I don't think it is right to give a kid a prize because he colored "nice" or finished. My kids earn the treasure chest prize with behavior over a certain period of time, not daily....

mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM
I can see stickers or a lollypop here and there if hes still younger (like no more than 2 grade) but after that I don't feel they should be rewarding doing something. Mind you special needs is different.
Here the student get free tickets to the circus and "the blessing of the fleet" but every student gets those
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-42-
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Maybe it was just one of those 'free child admission with the purchase of an adult ticket' things that are everywhere when the circus comes to town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calusari
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Those kinds of prizes shouldn't be given unless ALL of the children are getting them; shame on that teacher.

NoahsCoolMama
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting calusari:

Those kinds of prizes shouldn't be given unless ALL of the children are getting them; shame on that teacher.

I disagree. I feel that children should be rewarded for a job well done. My son does not always get the prize, but he knows that not everyone can win. Kids need to learn that there are disappointments in life and that there is always a "next time" to try harder.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Quoting calusari:

I disagree. I feel that children should be rewarded for a job well done. My son does not always get the prize, but he knows that not everyone can win. Kids need to learn that there are disappointments in life and that there is always a "next time" to try harder.

I agree that kids should sometimes be rewarded for a job wel done, and that they need to learn that not everyone wins every time, but if they were actual circus tickets, that seems over-the-top.

If they were coupons for circus tickets, I can see how a child that age could easily mistake that for a real ticket.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Quoting -42-:

Maybe it was just one of those 'free child admission with the purchase of an adult ticket' things that are everywhere when the circus comes to town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Quoting calusari:

I agree that kids should sometimes be rewarded for a job wel done, and that they need to learn that not everyone wins every time, but if they were actual circus tickets, that seems over-the-top.

If they were coupons for circus tickets, I can see how a child that age could easily mistake that for a real ticket.

exactly, actually "Admissions" would be over the top for a freaking coloring page. A reward is fine, disappointments will happen and yes there is "next" time but I am guessing the child is 4/5yrs old, he has already been told by the teacher his work is not "great" and now his classmates get "circus tickets" and he doesn't when perhaps coloring is not his strong.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:08 AM
He is 1 grade, 7. First three weeks of school and first year of neatness mattering.

They were real circus tickets. Not to a huge circus... But one nonetheless. And the teacher said that it was all she had. I am hoping she had for all and she is just trying to motivate...

Quoting iansusie:

Quoting wakymom:

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Quoting calusari:

exactly, actually "Admissions" would be over the top for a freaking coloring page. A reward is fine, disappointments will happen and yes there is "next" time but I am guessing the child is 4/5yrs old, he has already been told by the teacher his work is not "great" and now his classmates get "circus tickets" and he doesn't when perhaps coloring is not his strong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I do not mind that he did not get a prize, but circus tickets (real admission) does not seem very nice. We encouraged him....

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Quoting calusari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN