Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having problems with the teacher, help!

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM
  • 27 Replies

First  let me say that I started this year out with the decision to homeschool but it wasn't working well with my busy schedule so I put her in the public school last week. She is in kindergarten. She already knows how to count, her ABC's, the basics. 

Her teacher seemed nice on the first day...but each day she becomes a little bitchier. A week in and I already can't stand her. I understand that my dd needs to practice holding her pencil correctly, I have been working on it with her. But I also go to school every evening during the week, so I can only help her while I'm making dinner then I'm off to class and she's in bed by the time I get home. So I do as much as possible on the weekends. She keeps telling me every day when i pick her up "shes having a REALLY hard time holding her pencil right. You should be helping her" and i tell her the same thing each day. We do it while Im cooking dinner every day, then im off to class for the night. She gives me this look each time like im a horrible parent. 

So then today i get a couple notes sent home. First "Ciara is having a very hard time writing the letter S. Practice with her every day" So i get out a piece of paper and tell her to write the letter S. And she does, perfectly. ok...

so then theres a worksheet. There are rows of objects and they have to circle the objects that start with the letter S. She did them all, except for one row in the middle. There's a snail, a hat and a ball of yarn. Written on the top "Was not listening. Finish at home." So i ask Ciara, what is this? I point to the hat. she tells  me. Then the yarn. Then I ask her what the snail is and she said i dont know. and she starts crying. After getting her to calm down she tells me the teacher was mean and wouldn't tell her what the picture was. And honestly, it's a crappy picture of a snail. I'm not shocked she didnt know what it was. 

She also came home in a really bad mood, screaming at her brothers, throwing fits. I feel like something is going on and it's bothering her. What do I do? 

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM
Wow, is it possible that you can pull her and try homeschooling again? At her age it really only takes a couple of hours a day. Also, I would be setting up a meeting with the teacher and the principal about this. It seems like the teacher isn't clicking with your dd and, if she's going to stay in her class, things need to change.
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds to me like a combination of your dd still adjusting to a classroom setting and not clicking w/ the teacher. A calm meeting w/ the teacher could help. I wouldn' bring in the principal just yet. Save that for if things don't improve after a reasonable amount of time after speaking w/ the teacher.

superm0m877
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM

The problem we had with homeschooling that made me uncomfortable is that I have so much on my plate right now, within the first 3 weeks of homeschooling we skipped 7 days. And I dont feel it's fair to her to miss that much work so often because I have other things that have to get done. Im in college full time, tons of homework. I have a 1 yr old and 3 yr old on top of it. My df is starting a business and needs help with that. Theres just SO much that i cant just stop doing and ignore, and there's nobody else to do them. I just hate this, I dont want this to turn into a battle of the teachers. The way her school works is they have the same teacher for 2 yrs. so she will have her next year too. I gotta deal with this woman for 2 years! and since i enrolled her late, they put her in this class cuz the other one is completely filled. This school is school of choice so they are pretty maxed out. I dont want to sit back and let it happen,  but i dont want to step in and make it worse either. I remember when i was in 3rd grade i had problems with my teacher and my mom had to get involved and it got ugly fast. it got so bad that at one point my mom and the teacher stepped into the closet to scream at each other. 

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Wow, is it possible that you can pull her and try homeschooling again? At her age it really only takes a couple of hours a day. Also, I would be setting up a meeting with the teacher and the principal about this. It seems like the teacher isn't clicking with your dd and, if she's going to stay in her class, things need to change.

raczac
by Cindi on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

ruby_jewel_04
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say just go to the office, tell them your daughter is having issues in the class room, and ask if they can switch her to a different teacher. Not all teachers, unfortunately, are meant to teach young kids. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

If things are better soon, try meeting with the teacher. I'm sure there is some adjustment for your daughter, and the first week is going to be challenging.

About holding the pencil, does the school have an OT that can help with that? I've also heard that fatter pencil can be easier to grip.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Quoting superm0m877:

Really, at her age, reading together daily, playing games and hands on arts and crafts, maybe some workbooks that she can do while you do other things are all that she needs. You do not have to recreate school at home for her to learn. Children of that age learn best through play and don't need super structured learning. You have already taught her the basics so it should be easy to expand on them. You can homeschool at any time and any place.

If you really feel that you can't do it, a meeting with the teacher at a minimum is necessary. Your dd is going to start hating to learn and that is hard to reverse once it starts. I homeschool my dd and we are very relaxed in our schooling. She is grade levels ahead across the board and, when we tried super structured learning last year for K, she shut down and it was a battle. Now that we are close to unschooling, she is loving to learn again and her attitude has greatly improved overall.
superm0m877
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

her teacher said "i have 30 students I dont have time to help her" She did send a pencil grip home, which has helped a lot. In all honesty, I dont feel that she's having THAT much difficulty. She does fairly well. I mean, it's holding a pencil. lol She isnt holding it with her fist. sometimes she puts her middle finger in the way and its easily corrected by reminding her to put it down. That's all. Her writing isnt that bad when she holds it right. 

Quoting Barabell:

If things are better soon, try meeting with the teacher. I'm sure there is some adjustment for your daughter, and the first week is going to be challenging.

About holding the pencil, does the school have an OT that can help with that? I've also heard that fatter pencil can be easier to grip.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Well, you said she needed work with it and that you didn't feel you had enough time to help her to the degree that the teacher thought she needed, and so I thought a school OT could help. My son had a few friends that saw an OT during their younger elementary years. You asked for suggestions, and I just thought it was a resource available at most school districts that maybe you didn't consider.

I guess I'm getting confused by what you are asking help with. Are you just venting? Or are you looking for suggestions? If so, what do you need suggestions about?

Quoting superm0m877:

her teacher said "i have 30 students I dont have time to help her" She did send a pencil grip home, which has helped a lot. In all honesty, I dont feel that she's having THAT much difficulty. She does fairly well. I mean, it's holding a pencil. lol She isnt holding it with her fist. sometimes she puts her middle finger in the way and its easily corrected by reminding her to put it down. That's all. Her writing isnt that bad when she holds it right. 

Quoting Barabell:

superm0m877
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

What exactly is an OT? Im not really sure...

Quoting Barabell:

Well, you said she needed work with it and that you didn't feel you had enough time to help her to the degree that the teacher thought she needed, and so I thought a school OT could help. My son had a few friends that saw an OT during their younger elementary years. You asked for suggestions, and I just thought it was a resource available at most school districts that maybe you didn't consider.

I guess I'm getting confused by what you are asking help with. Are you just venting? Or are you looking for suggestions? If so, what do you need suggestions about?

Quoting superm0m877:

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)