Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

In order to access the Internet at school students at my school need signed permission from a parent. 

The districts content blocking software certainly isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. Plus kids only go online under adult supervision.  I've never had a parent say no before. 

But this year one of my students doesn't have permission. So every time we do something online she can't participate. It's very frustrating to the child. I've been hoping she'd go home and complain and her parents would change their minds, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.  She's really missing out on some fun activities and learning important skills. It's such a bummer.  

Do you allow your child to use the Internet at school?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM
Replies (211-214):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I would.  I don't know for sure if they do or not.  I know they have computer lab but I don't know if they are going out on the internet or just using other applications.

Since the kids are supervised anyway (mine are K and 2nd so they are never without an adult) I don't see what harm could come of allowing them to use the internet at school.

SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

They're giving you the responsibility for educating her, but they're tying your hands at the same time. I get that it must be very frustrating. If they're that concerned about outside or online influences, then it would be better for them (not necessarily for their daughter, but it's their choice) to find a different educational venue, rather than a public school where technology is part of the mandate.

I have one in middle school and my high schooler is being homeschooled. Thank goodness for computers! Her Algebra II curriculum is CD-based and when she doesn't understand something, she uses Khan Academy to see if she can catch on to it when it's presented another way.

She uses the internet to research essays, writes them in Word, prints them out to edit (different set of brain receptors for print vs screen), enters the changes, then e-mails them to me. I correct in Word using 'track changes,' then e-mail them back to her!

She reads some of her literature work on her phone and some in print.

I'm a proponent of using the best tools at our disposal, whether they're on paper or virtual!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

They're giving you the responsibility for educating her, but they're tying your hands at the same time. I get that it must be very frustrating. If they're that concerned about outside or online influences, then it would be better for them (not necessarily for their daughter, but it's their choice) to find a different educational venue, rather than a public school where technology is part of the mandate.

I agree with this and I think this is what it comes down to.  There is always a choice, whether public, private, charter, home, etc.  These parents made the choice to send their daughter to this particular school.  They should trust that the school will use the best tools available to teach their daughter.  If they can't trust the school or the teacher, then they need to find a different school.

Unfortunately, I don't think the particular parents in max's situation will ever see it that way, since they can't even be bothered to come in and meet the teacher, even after multiple requests.

corrinacs
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yes.  Have you sent a note ot hte parents about this?  Perhaps there's a reason why.....and I bet its that they forgot to sign the paper.

That's what I'd to to be honest :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN