Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you met your child's teacher?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Max
  • 192 Replies

We've been in school for 7 weeks now and I still haven't met all my students parents. The sad reality is that at the end of this year there will be several parents I will have never spoken to or met. 

I have 19 students. I've met 12 of their parents in person. We had meet the teacher before school, open house a few weeks in, and family day.  A couple of parents who missed those came to visit on other days. 

Two of the others I have spoken to on the phone but not met in person. 

That's five parents I've never spoken to or met and I spend 6 hours a day with their child. I can't imagine not putting any effort into to getting to know a person who spends that much time with my child. 

Any explanations as to why some parents don't want to speak to or meet the teacher?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissa632
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Yes. I always go & meet the teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I have contacted all the parents through the mail and notes home. I've called all the ones I haven't met or spoken to as well. 

lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I don't know.  I agree with you and can't imagine not wanting to be involved in my boys' education.

I've met my sons' teachers several times.  My oldest has Aspergers, so I'm in contact with his teachers pretty frequently.  They team teach in fourth grade and one of his teachers also taught him in second grade, so she and I already knew one another.

I've met my youngest son's teacher twice.  Once at orientation and also at open house.  I'm also involved in the PTA, so I see her at school functions too.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

At the open house

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Quoting lwalker270:

I don't know.  I agree with you and can't imagine not wanting to be involved in my boys' education.

I've met my sons' teachers several times.  My oldest has Aspergers, so I'm in contact with his teachers pretty frequently.  They team teach in fourth grade and one of his teachers also taught him in second grade, so she and I already knew one another.

I've met my youngest son's teacher twice.  Once at orientation and also at open house.  I'm also involved in the PTA, so I see her at school functions too.

Of course I think it's important to be involved in my child's education. 

But even more basic than that, I can't imagine not being able to picture the person my child is with all day. I couldn't have my child at school all day with a stranger. I need to know who is taking care of them. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yes!  I have met all of my kids' teachers, including my daughter's 8 junior high teachers.  On a sad note, I teach at an inner city high school.  On "back to school night" for the past 10 years, out of 200+ students, I have averaged 5 parents.  Ugh!  The correlation between not meeting the parents and the kids not doing well is REALLY high!

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I can't imagine.

I have always made sure I knew my child's teacher.

As far as the kids in my class, I have met all of their parents.

I am surprised, though, as I am asking all parents to come in for a conference, and so far I only have 11/16 who have responded.

There is one parent I have had to ask a few times if she will come in as I have some concerns about the student I want to share.  She wants to email me about many things (which is fine, I love parent contact) but please also come meet with me for a conference!  :)

aimhawk
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I already knew her teacher since I had her in school. But we went to "Family Fun Night" before school started where we received class assignment and information on registration. Then we had registration night where we filled out all paperwork and toured the school with our child's teacher and classmates. There was also back to school night, but we didn't go. I see my child's principal every morning when I drop her off, because he gets her out of the car and I see my child's teacher every afternoon when I pick her up in the gym.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Quoting mjande4:

Yes!  I have met all of my kids' teachers, including my daughter's 8 junior high teachers.  On a sad note, I teach at an inner city high school.  On "back to school night" for the past 10 years, out of 200+ students, I have averaged 5 parents.  Ugh!  The correlation between not meeting the parents and the kids not doing well is REALLY high!

I wonder if there are any stats on that. 

Conference night is always so telling. Just about every single honor roll parent shows up and the kids who struggle rarely have parents show. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

If I got 11 out of 16 I'd be thrilled! LOL

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I can't imagine.

I have always made sure I knew my child's teacher.

As far as the kids in my class, I have met all of their parents.

I am surprised, though, as I am asking all parents to come in for a conference, and so far I only have 11/16 who have responded.

There is one parent I have had to ask a few times if she will come in as I have some concerns about the student I want to share.  She wants to email me about many things (which is fine, I love parent contact) but please also come meet with me for a conference!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)