Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

About lefty kids

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 53 Replies

Do you think that if your child is a lefty that it makes him/her more prone to write letters backwards?

I have 3 boys and only 1 is a lefty and he is the only one who writes his letters backwards and that got me wondering if it might be connected.

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

No clue. DD is right handed and my only.  She was writing letters backwards for a while.  It is common up until age 8 i think to write a few letters backwards. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a correlation. 

It's harder for lefties to write because most of the people they see writing do it differently than they do. Righties can just copy what they see, lefties often need more time to figure it out. 

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Every lefty I know has started out writing letters & words backwards.  They all get it figured out and, quite honestly, its cute in the meantime.

aj23
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I don't know if my son is going to be a true lefty because he still writes with both hands but he doesn't write his letters backwards with either hand, he never has.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Heres a bump. My brother is the only lefty I know
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Not at this house. My 5 year old is a lefty anbd my 8 year old writes hers backwards way more.

Pink_Love
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM
DD1 and DS are right handed both write normal, me and all but one of my siblings are right handed and we wrote correctly. DD2 and my little sister are both lefties and DD2 writes the majority backwards and my sister did too. Now my sister has beautiful hyrogliphic type print lol (she's 17 now)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM
My dd is a lefty n she writes backwards
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jclovinlife
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM
My dd is a lefty and she didn't have this problem
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I have 2 lefties in our house. And when they were younger, some of their letters were written backwards. But after some practice and redirection, they go it all under control.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN