Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

AR (accelerated reading) app on the Ipad

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

Has anyone tried this app on your Ipad? My school uses AR and the kids have access Ipads in their classroom. Just wondering if kids can log in from home using an Ipad to take quizzes on the books they read.

(I don't have an Ipad, but am thinking of getting one. Does it make a difference if you buy it at say, Best Buy versus the Apple store?)

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I didn't know they had an iPad app. 

Whether or not the kids can do it from home depends on how the program is set up. AR offers the option of limiting where it can be used. Some schools prefer for kids to only do it at school. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Our school only allows the kids to test at school.  I understand.  Unfortunately, there are parents out there that would take the tests/do the work for the kids and then the measurement of comprehension would be invalid.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

That makes sense. Never thought of that.

Quoting mjande4:

Our school only allows the kids to test at school.  I understand.  Unfortunately, there are parents out there that would take the tests/do the work for the kids and then the measurement of comprehension would be invalid.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Most honest moms wouldn't.  :-)

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

That makes sense. Never thought of that.

Quoting mjande4:

JeremysMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

The school I worked at used it up until last year. They would open up the testing window from 7:30-2:30 (school hours). During the year, we would have special times where it was extended such as Family Reading Night but only the librarian had access to open it for those special times. If your child's school does the same, the best thing you can do is make sure your child is reading her AR books and quiz her. You can google the book and get sample questions to ask her about the book to make sure she has a good understanding of the book.

CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Can you get the app on an iPhone?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CrazedMomof2:

Can you get the app on an iPhone?

You can. I have it on my iphone.

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My kids just use books, but hey

matofour
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Oh that is neat! I am going to have to look it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting LucyHarper:

My kids just use books, but hey

So does EVERYONE that uses AR. It's a test after they have read the BOOK.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)