Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kids not going to the school they are zoned for

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 281 Replies
1 mom liked this

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I thought you could choose your school, anyway, because of the "no child left behind act?" Or don't they have that anymore?

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:50 PM
7 moms liked this

Don't get caught.  That's all I have to say about it..

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Quoting Kathy489:

I thought you could choose your school, anyway, because of the "no child left behind act?" Or don't they have that anymore?

It's still there, but there are also school districts.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM

We have school of choice here. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
We have open enrollment here. My kids go to a different school then they are currently zoned for too. We bought our house based on these school boundaries and then they were redrawn about 3 years into my oldest going there. We stayed. We must provide our own transportation, but other than that we can go to any school we choose.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I guess it depends on whether she is talking about choosing a school in her district, or if she chose a whole other district. I'm not clear. Either way, I would check into it. Many places still follow the "school of your choice" policy under "no child left behind," as long as it's in your district probably.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting Kathy489:

epaolini
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

in nevada we have specific school we should be sneding our kids too. for funding issues and crap like that i think its bs....but that could be why nevda is 50th in educaion..

jillbailey26
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Where I live, there are specific school zones.  You send your kid to the school where you're zoned for them to go.  

Quoting Kathy489:

I guess it depends on whether she is talking about choosing a school in her district, or if she chose a whole other district. I'm not clear. Either way, I would check into it. Many places still follow the "school of your choice" policy under "no child left behind," as long as it's in your district probably.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting Kathy489:

CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM
We did that for 4 years. We had to get district transfers from both schools. Not a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
periwinkle163
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Here we can request transfers, our kids go to a school that has half the amount of kids as the school we are zoned for. Almost everything about their school is better than the school we are zoned for, the grades, the test scores, the student-teacher ratio, the PTO, the parent involvement. We received a choice transfer for my dsbecause the school we are zoned for had such bad test scores that they were on academic probation. Choice transfers are allowed to stay at their chosen school as if they lived in the district, he can't be bumped if there are to many kids one year. By the time my dd started kindergarten our zone school was off probation so she is just a regular transfer and we will have to refill out transfer papers each year. It's a bit of a pain but so worth it to have them in one of the top performing school in our district.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN