Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kids not going to the school they are zoned for

Posted by   + Show Post

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I'm so glad you have that choice. It sucks to have to send your child to a bad school.
  :-)

Quoting periwinkle163:

Here we can request transfers, our kids go to a school that has half the amount of kids as the school we are zoned for. Almost everything about their school is better than the school we are zoned for, the grades, the test scores, the student-teacher ratio, the PTO, the parent involvement. We received a choice transfer for my dsbecause the school we are zoned for had such bad test scores that they were on academic probation. Choice transfers are allowed to stay at their chosen school as if they lived in the district, he can't be bumped if there are to many kids one year. By the time my dd started kindergarten our zone school was off probation so she is just a regular transfer and we will have to refill out transfer papers each year. It's a bit of a pain but so worth it to have them in one of the top performing school in our district.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Quoting Kathy489:

I thought you could choose your school, anyway, because of the "no child left behind act?" Or don't they have that anymore?

Here, that was only if a school wasn't meeting AYP.  My daughter did go to the next town for kindergarten because they had intertown school choice through a lottery system.  She now goes to our district school.  In our town, you can ask to have a child go to a different school but that request has to be made each year.  Unless you're falsely using someone else's address, you can't just choose to go to a different school here.  You have to show proof of residence to register your child and if your child isn't registered, they can't attend.

Pink_Love
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM
My 4 year old rides a bus from school everyday, 10 miles if they go straight but since they do have to go down side roads it turns into like 15-20 miles and does wonderful and loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JeremysMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:45 PM

When my son first started Kindergarten, he was zoned for one school. We loved that school and when we had to move, we wanted him to stay. We moved to a place that was still in district but he was zoned for another school. All we had to do was fill out the necessary paperwork. 

aj23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM
My son goes to the school he's supposed to but if I wanted I could ask for him to go to another one and they would allow it as long as there was space and I provided transportation. Its only 5 miles for me to drive there but its 30-40 miles if you go the bus route. My 5 year old loves the hour long ride and gets upset if he doesn't get to ride the bus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJFBGMommy
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM

My kids go to an alternative school. I would homeschool before sending them to the schools they're zoned for. There are more kids in the middle school their zoned for, than the entire k-12 school they go to.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

We were given the option last year with changing dd's school within the district if we wanted to a school with higher scores.  As she was in kindergarten, those scores didnt matter to us since they had just started full day kindergarten the year before.

mama2beautiesnb
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM
my daughter has been going to a school outside the zone we're in for a few yrs now. the system knows and doesnt care. helps when ur mom is a teacher in a diff school though. lots of favors to be owed. and thank goodness.... much better school.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Don't get caught.  That's all I have to say about it..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't always happen that way.  Recently moms have been getting arrested all over for "stealing education."

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

my daughter has been going to a school outside the zone we're in for a few yrs now. the system knows and doesnt care. helps when ur mom is a teacher in a diff school though. lots of favors to be owed. and thank goodness.... much better school.

Quoting jillbailey26:

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

mama2beautiesnb
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM
ive never heard of that...

Quoting jillbailey26:

It doesn't always happen that way.  Recently moms have been getting arrested all over for "stealing education."

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)