Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids not going to the school they are zoned for

Posted by   + Show Post

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (241-250):
Adored45
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM
You gotta do what you can get away with! The whole thing is a game..play it with all your heart. Think realistic. Today's world is very different from when I went to school. I capitalized on my children's Hispanic last name to get him in a mostly black high school. Why!? Small classes, government subsidiaries , only 1600 compared to 3500 students in the whole school, uniforms, opportunities, did I mention government ......today he's a senior at Reed in Oregon...he deserves the best!
KaydeBugsMommy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:56 AM

I grew up in a small town (less than 600 people). We had 1 Elementary, 1 Middle School, and 1 High School. If you didn't like your one public school option, you had to pay tuition to be allowed to attend the school in the next town over- about 10 miles either direction. You pay different taxes based on where you live- since we lived in the Norwood school district, all of our tax money went to Norwood. It wouldn't be fair to any other school I chose to attend, because they aren't getting any money for me. If it is a bad school, I really doubt there are people picking to go there- so this terrible school is now getting tons of extra money, where this good school is getting less and less. We lived less than a mile from the school- we had a 1.5 hour bus ride to and from school. Because of how the routes worked. My husband lived 14 miles from the school, he had a 2 hour bus ride. Most little kids love to be on the bus. They think it's amazing. It's not right to steal education. No matter how you look at it. That would be like paying to go to a crappy cheap college, then attending classes at the expensive one- yeah, your education will be better, and chances are, most of the teachers won't notice an extra student sitting in the back. But will the education be worth it if you have to lie the entire time?

DomsMom8207
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:10 AM
Yup! 

boy kissing mombootreat those that are older than you as your grandparents, those your own age as your brothers and sisters, and those who are younger than you as your children. the world is one big family. -master cheng yen-

katiekiwi
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM

When i was entering high school my parents used my friends address so I could check out the high school closer to my house but we wound up liking the school i was zoned for more so we didnt have to continue with her address.

HarrisonMD
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

We can go to any school too...the backyard, the park, at the kitchen table...ah the joys of Homeschooling! lol

liz2654
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM
My family moved from one city to another, my step daughter wants to graduate with her friends so i drive her n her brother 30 minutes each way to a different district and i used my old address n leas paper work....But cant wait for school to be over gas getting expensive....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Wow!  SMH!

Quoting Adored45:

You gotta do what you can get away with! The whole thing is a game..play it with all your heart. Think realistic. Today's world is very different from when I went to school. I capitalized on my children's Hispanic last name to get him in a mostly black high school. Why!? Small classes, government subsidiaries , only 1600 compared to 3500 students in the whole school, uniforms, opportunities, did I mention government ......today he's a senior at Reed in Oregon...he deserves the best!

supercarp
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I don't blame you at all. In our state (Michigan) we have school of choice, so you can go to whatever school you want as long as there is room.

needadvice1983
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Um my DS had to start school at 3 years old due to autism and we had no choice but to send him on the bus. His feat school was 15 miles away. I think your kids would be fine to ride 9 miles! Plus you do realize its illegal to lie about housing to get into a different school right? If you get caught you can get in serious trouble. I saw a news story (I think it was a couple of years ago) where the lady used her dads address to get her kids Ito a better school. She got sent to jail for lying on "government" forms since it was a public school.
whoodathunk
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Why don't you petition to go there and do it legally?  If you get caught, you'll likely be fined the cost of the child's education plus legal fees.  You'd be better off sending them to private school if you have to pay.  I would choose based on the quality of the school rather than the distance.  You're children can survive a 10 mile ride, it's not that far.  Good luck with what ever you decide.  JMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)