Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kids not going to the school they are zoned for

Posted by   + Show Post

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (251-260):
mandyj573
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

We go to a magnet school which is a lot further away than the school that we're zoned for. We do go to the school we're zoned for, for summer school and our experience hasn't been that bad. The school that we go to full time is a small autonomous school and they work on montesori type principles. Also there seems to be a lot less behaviors because parents have to complete the application and be selected to attend the school. . . . there is a lot of parent involvement!

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

We have school districts where I live.  However you can be transferred to a different school if you can meet certain criteria and that they aren't already full from kids that live "in-district".

Or if you are on the districe line you can then choose which school you want to send your child to.

luvlynesa
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I lied to keep my child in the right school. After we lost our home and had to move out, we found a rental in a nice neighborhood but the only drawback was the school district. The district which we use to belong was considered one of the best in the county and our new district was one of the worst. Since I didn't want to pull out my son from his current school I decided to try for a district tranfer but after budget cuts I heard they were not doing transfers at the moment, so I lied and kept him there under our old address and opened up a P.O. Box to receive his mail. Sometimes it's neccessary to tell a little white lie if it's in your child's best interest.

Phillymama123
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I can see why one would do that. I just found out our top choice for kindergarten has to give priority to her dads area even though it's a charter school. Random, and unfair, but we lucked out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM

haven't read all the post but in my district they are enforcing the you go to the school in your area rule. When you register you have to have a utility bill and mortgage/lease. If you are living with a person (not your spouse) you have to have them write a letter stating you live there. Glad I'm out of this mess in May.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Quoting luvlynesa:

I lied to keep my child in the right school. After we lost our home and had to move out, we found a rental in a nice neighborhood but the only drawback was the school district. The district which we use to belong was considered one of the best in the county and our new district was one of the worst. Since I didn't want to pull out my son from his current school I decided to try for a district tranfer but after budget cuts I heard they were not doing transfers at the moment, so I lied and kept him there under our old address and opened up a P.O. Box to receive his mail. Sometimes it's neccessary to tell a little white lie if it's in your child's best interest.

Wow! I get that you want the best for your kids, but you really are screwing the homeowners in that area. First, their home values plummeted because you foreclosed, then you steal tax dollars meant for those kids in that neighborhood.  BTW I would have no issues IF you were honest about your address with the school, but to blatantly lie is just unconscionable in my opinion.

spoiledsowhat
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

This is ridiculous if you want your kids to go to the "good" school than work for it like everyone else and buy a house in the zoned area if you cant afford it than to bad cry me a river dont lie and break the law it isnt fair to the people that have paid their dues and that actually live in the area and deserve to have their kids go to that school (yes I did say deserve if you have a problem with that then go to school get an education get a job that pays as well as the people in that area and then either rent or buy a home in the area then your kids deserve to be class mates to my kids) bottom line

thebailiffs
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Luvynesa-

" to tell a little white lie"- a lie is a lie, it's like being a little pregnant.
It is so much more than that.
I hope schools get tighter and demand more from home owners to prove so people can't lie to get their kids into a better district.
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM

EVERY child "deserves" a good education. Your children are no better or deserving than anyone elses. Btw not a shocker to see who "likes" this post and your other one. Welcome to the forum by the way (I noticed you are new...or not)

Quoting spoiledsowhat:

This is ridiculous if you want your kids to go to the "good" school than work for it like everyone else and buy a house in the zoned area if you cant afford it than to bad cry me a river dont lie and break the law it isnt fair to the people that have paid their dues and that actually live in the area and deserve to have their kids go to that school (yes I did say deserve if you have a problem with that then go to school get an education get a job that pays as well as the people in that area and then either rent or buy a home in the area then your kids deserve to be class mates to my kids) bottom line

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Don't get caught.  That's all I have to say about it..

If you get caught here, its a felony and your children will be removed immediately. Its hard to get in the schools around here, you have to have all kinds of crazy proof such as, a phone bill with your address on it and all kinds of stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)