Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kids not going to the school they are zoned for

Posted by   + Show Post

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (61-70):
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM
My DD is 7 and rides the bus 8 miles one way to school its not that far really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree

Quoting ddhb2007:

So you've illegally enrolled your kids in the wrong school? I understand wanting a closer or better school. However, there are legal ways to do this. What you are doing is wrong, and I hope you get caught.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Here, the district we send our kids to offers open enrollment, as long as there is space after local (in district) children are placed. We have to apply annually, but it doesn't cost is anymore, and we have to take them to school or to a bus stop in the district. I know other districts in the area don't offer bussing for open enrollment students. Our home district is under state direction, meaning they have overspent and not been successful on getting a levy passed, so they do not offer open enrollment to adjoining districts because there is barely space for the students that do live here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM
The only way we can go to a different school is by applying for open enrollment during the application window of Feb.-April. If you don't apply in that window - you lost your chance until the following year. If your application is approved you must provide your own transportation. If not, you're stuck in your home district. Both your home district & the one you want to go to must approve the application.

I don't approve of lying about your address just to get in a different school. Great lesson you're teaching your kids (note sarcasm).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epaolini
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM

the county i am in doesnt do waivers or transfers anymore and havnt for like 10 plus yrs,,,,,, i know a few people that use a different adress, a grandparent or friend.. i ont see it as being a crime.. and when kids are old enough to realize they will just know it was for the best tfor their education... my kis have asked why they cant ridethe bus and we say we are too ar and cant get a bus to get to the house,,,not really lying.. everyone can calm down its not a big deal to want the best education. in nevada we are 50th for the entire country  i feel kids should have every opportunity for the best available within reason. the school papers for the kids show one adress and when i applied for a job i used our real one..and got hired...this principle obviously doesnt care or it would have been brought up dontcha think

iansusie
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I guess it is the equivalent of a County. I live in New Orleans, LOL... I do believe though that Parish is also the way Catholic church divides 

Louisiana was founded by the Spanish and French governments which were mostly Roman Catholic. Louisiana was broken up into "church" parishes. Later on, counties were added and some of the parishes became counties, but the boundaries of the "county" lines were rather changeable. So, later on, the parishes were reinstated.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_Louisiana_have_parishes_not_counties#ixzz28cwp7vSpQuoting 

Okay this is totally off subject but what is a parish? I always see this on the news during hurricane season when they are talking about New Orleans and places like that but I have no idea what it is lol. And I have asked a lot of people and nobody else around here knows what it is either!

Quoting iansusie:

I believe it is open enrolledment within your school district (School of Choice), we have many charter schools. the one my son attends is a Type 2 charter which means it is open to any child who resides in the state. Off course it is mostly children from the 2 parishes that are close to the schools.

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Quoting mjande4:

We have open enrollment here. My kids go to a different school then they are currently zoned for too. We bought our house based on these school boundaries and then they were redrawn about 3 years into my oldest going there. We stayed. We must provide our own transportation, but other than that we can go to any school we choose.

How does that work? What do they do if a lot of people choose one school over the other and it becomes overcrowded and one school gets way below capacity?
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Honestly, IF a school gets overcrowded then they will deny the boundary exception.  My kids, fortunately, are honor's students so they WANT them there.  In our area, unless your child is a discipline problem or academically low, you can go where you choose as long as you provide the transportation.  My daughter is being "recruited" by 3 of the high schools for next year and so are my sons for sports going into junior high.  It's VERY competitive and if you are successful in an area, the schools will seek you out. The high school my daughter wants to go to turned away 310 open exceptions this year.  She, however, is in for next year thankfully.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting mjande4:

We have open enrollment here. My kids go to a different school then they are currently zoned for too. We bought our house based on these school boundaries and then they were redrawn about 3 years into my oldest going there. We stayed. We must provide our own transportation, but other than that we can go to any school we choose.

How does that work? What do they do if a lot of people choose one school over the other and it becomes overcrowded and one school gets way below capacity?

mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Quoting mjande4:

Wow thank goodness. It seems like there must be pressure to do well so the kids can go to the school of their choice. I guess that could be good in a way as it forces schools to keep up with each other.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

It's that AND the school will have different special programs.  Maybe the drama/performing arts is VERY strong.  One has a biomedic program which is partnered with a hospital.  One has a biotech program, etc. 

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Quoting mjande4:

Wow thank goodness. It seems like there must be pressure to do well so the kids can go to the school of their choice. I guess that could be good in a way as it forces schools to keep up with each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN