Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kids not going to the school they are zoned for

Posted by   + Show Post

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Replies (71-80):
iansusie
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone understands a parent wanting the best education for their children but just like you do, some other parents from YOUR district might want the same, if everyone lies than it'd become a big problem for the school system. Now, I have a love/hate relationship with open enrollment, my sil (they live 3 house from us) and myself and 2 of our neighbors were not able to get our children into the school we originally were zoned for because after Katrina, lots of schools bacame Charter and open enrollment, so all 8 of these kids had to find different schools, my sil is homeschooling but about to move out of state because her kids want to go to school but she can't get her kids in our neighborhood school, while we have kids been bussed from the other side of the city. My children go to 2 different schools, the youngest is in an immersion program charter and my oldest is in a Catholic school, I must provide transportation for both. My neighbors 2 girls go to one of the WORST schools in our area in the middle of the projects and the other 2 need to be bussed to the other side of the city. I think it should be all the kids within the school zone first and if they have spots left open enroll at the transportation expense of said parents.

Quoting epaolini:

the county i am in doesnt do waivers or transfers anymore and havnt for like 10 plus yrs,,,,,, i know a few people that use a different adress, a grandparent or friend.. i ont see it as being a crime.. and when kids are old enough to realize they will just know it was for the best tfor their education... my kis have asked why they cant ridethe bus and we say we are too ar and cant get a bus to get to the house,,,not really lying.. everyone can calm down its not a big deal to want the best education. in nevada we are 50th for the entire country  i feel kids should have every opportunity for the best available within reason. the school papers for the kids show one adress and when i applied for a job i used our real one..and got hired...this principle obviously doesnt care or it would have been brought up dontcha think

PinkieRed
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM
That's true. There was a huge case here in Ohio, last year, where a woman was charged with a felony for sending her daughters to a suburban public school district (using her dad's address), while she lived in a different, inner city district.

She wanted her daughters to be able to ride the school bus to their grandfather's house every day, so they could stay there until she got off work, but she could only do that if they were attending school in that district.
She spent some time in jail over it.

The governor ended up getting involved, and got it dropped to a misdemeanor, because she was going to college for a degree in early childhood education, and would not be able to work as a teacher, if she had a felony record. She still has to pay a lot of money to the suburban school district though, for tuition.

There's only a very few school districts here in Ohio that allow kids from outside the district to attend, and pretty much all of those are among the worst performing in the state, like Cleveland. None of the best suburban districts allow students from outside the district to attend.

I live in one of the lowest performing school districts in Ohio, so I've always had my kids in Catholic schools.

My public school district will provide bussing to private school students, at no charge, as long as they meet the bussing criteria - in elementary or middle school, and living 2 or more miles from their school. It used to only be a mile a more until they had a levy fail last year, and reduced bussing. We live 1.8 miles from my son's school, so he no longer qualifies for bussing. We live almost 2 1/2 miles from my daughter's high school, but the district cut all bussing for high school students last year. It would be more trouble than it's worth for her to ride a school bus to her high school, anyway. The K-8 elementary school she graduated from was 10 miles from our house, so she did ride the school bus home from there every day.

I don't know if my district allows school transfers within the district, under NCLB. It wouldn't matter much if they do, anyway, because all of the schools in the district are pretty bad. There's a few that are slightly better performing than others, but only marginally so.
Quoting jillbailey26:

It doesn't always happen that way.  Recently moms have been getting arrested all over for "stealing education."

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

my daughter has been going to a school outside the zone we're in for a few yrs now. the system knows and doesnt care. helps when ur mom is a teacher in a diff school though. lots of favors to be owed. and thank goodness.... much better school.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Don't get caught.  That's all I have to say about it..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WildCat73
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

No but we can take them to any school now without a fee but they cannot get into trouble and have to maintain at least a c or above average. It used to be we had to pay alot of money to do it. I actually could of left my kids in their old district even though we moved out for 1 year before the law passed but i decided against it. I am glad i put them in the new district where we live. The schools are smaller and they actually helped my kids get the diagnosis of what was wrong instead of shoving a diagnosis of what they thought was wrong and the principal did not try to overstep her boundries on my daughter's IEP.

MamaGlitterBug
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Yes my son has special needs and the school we are zoned for doesn't have the program he needs, so I open enrolled my other two because having two sep schools is hard

I'm Jess...wife to Jared of 11 years...Mama of 4. 3ofmyown+1ofhis=4kids:   Amanda (sd) 12, Amethyst  9 (Pdd-Nos), Isaac 8 (Autism and Epilepsy) & Elijah 5.. I proudly breastfed Elijah until his 4th birthday when he completely self-weaned.  I support Nursing In Public and am anti-vaccines.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Lying to the school...lying to your kids...making your kids lie...is "best" for them? It's that whole "rules don't apply to me" mentality that perpetuates the entitlement problem.

Sad for your kids.

Quoting epaolini:

the county i am in doesnt do waivers or transfers anymore and havnt for like 10 plus yrs,,,,,, i know a few people that use a different adress, a grandparent or friend.. i ont see it as being a crime.. and when kids are old enough to realize they will just know it was for the best tfor their education... my kis have asked why they cant ridethe bus and we say we are too ar and cant get a bus to get to the house,,,not really lying.. everyone can calm down its not a big deal to want the best education. in nevada we are 50th for the entire country  i feel kids should have every opportunity for the best available within reason. the school papers for the kids show one adress and when i applied for a job i used our real one..and got hired...this principle obviously doesnt care or it would have been brought up dontcha think

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epaolini
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

the kids know our adress and will tell you if they ask. so nthey arent lying...and as i stated i applied for a job there using our real adress and the principe didnt say a word... the rules do applyto me my opinion is its semantics because if the school asks me i will tell them i think its a better school. just my opinion and i guess we are all entitled to our opinion.

Lurion
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I totally did this! Zero regrets. 

If you get caught, what can they do to you anyway? 

Panty.Pirate
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM
That's illegal unless arrangements are made by your local school board.
anxiousschk
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

You can be charged with lying on an offical document. 

You*can* do some jail time.  

Is it worth the charge? 

Quoting Lurion:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

You can be sued for the cost of educating your child.  School districts across the country have and continue to do this.  They win and seek recovery costs.

Quoting Lurion:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN