Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Project Yay or Nay

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM
  • 13 Replies

My son has two school projects for this month.  My son decided to choice my hertiage for  one of his  school projects.  I should feel flatter ,but I said why didn't he chose his dad he is New Yorker. He needs lot of pictures. The next project is build a miniture Native American Communitie for social studies.

I have love hate relationship for school project.Sometime it can be fun, tedious, ...........

Is there any school projects that are due for child  or child has already done a school project? Do you help the child or let them do the school project on their own? Do you love or hate school projects?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lurion
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I wanted to throw a party when my son turned in his last science fair project ever. Those are dreadful!

Now he's in a magnet school for arts and I love that he has projects...ones that HE can do on his own.  

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM
I already told hubby science projects are his deal. I hated doing them in school im not about to start liking them now. He loves them so it works out. Its not due until april. Thats the only one i know of for my K child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:45 AM

DD is only in 1st grade so no major take home projects yet.  I did not like the all about me posters since they dont specify if the child should do it or the parent should write the answers.

SexyDiva19
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Same here except my DS is in the 2nd grade. I like doing school projects with him.

Quoting frndlyfn:

DD is only in 1st grade so no major take home projects yet.  I did not like the all about me posters since they dont specify if the child should do it or the parent should write the answers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this
She is doing a native American project and we are excited. My sister knows several people from the tribe she is picked so my daughter will be meeting one and talking to her/him. She is super excited.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Dd just had a project a few weeks ago where she had to make a native American shelter, she did great, got an A( with my help).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE projects.

Not because I do them for the kids (I wish I could as I loved them in school, but I will not do thier work), but becasue they give me a window into my childrens' opinions of what is acceptable work and help me teach them time management. DD, who is REALLY intelligent and very artsy-crafty, turned in a diorama (I do hate those...who really saves shoeboxes "just in case" when they live in a tiny condo?) that sucked compared to her classmates' dioramas. Heck, it sucked compared to many of the projects she has taken on out of choice! It met all of the requirements, but she felt it was done way before I did. I knew she could do better. I asked her if she wanted to add more to it, and she said "No, it's got everyhting the grading rubric says it needs." If your 2nd grader understands and properly uses the phrase "grading rubric," you back off :)

When it was time to display it at Open House with all of the other ones, she didn't want me to show up to see it. Great lesson.

I have never done anything but guide my children and help them with research, any more than I would do their math homework for them. It's not my project. They must meet the minimum requirements, and after that, it is up to them to do a great job. I am always available to answer questions and offer suggestions if they are requested. I encourage a great job, but I WILL NOT be the mom who does most of the work. Not becasue I am lazy, BTW. It would be easier to do the work myself. Ensuring they have the resources they need (within reason...I'm not spending $100 on a project) and helping them manage their time is my job. They know what grades we expect based on each child's abilities, and if they do not meet those standards due to laziness, they have consequences.

She got an OK grade for an OK job. Her teacher was not upset. The point of elementary school is to learn these lessons.

You could tell which projects the parents took over, and which ones the children took pride in. You could tell which parents had the funds to spend tons of bucks on supplies, and which parents encouraged their children to be resourceful (many of whom had the funds to buy really expensive supplies, but opted to not do so). You could also tell which kids did the bare minimum. I don't think my DD will fall into that group this year! She was embarassed.

Now that my kids are older, I have a different way of managing their "big" projects, like major reports, science experiments and dioramas (did I mention I hate dioramas???). We look at the due date, check out the requirements, and make a calendar backwards, week by week, for what needs to be done. So, if week one is to chose an experiment, create a hypothesis and gather supplies, they know what needs to be done. Part of that is checking with mom and dad to see if the experiment is feasable. If they have one week to create the final display, I expect their best work during that week, but it need not be MY best work. "Would you like to add a background to that so it looks really cool? I can help you with anything you are stuck on."  "No, I want it to be simple and easy to understand." "OK, but how about if we review how to make a graph using the computer for your results?" "Yeah, that would look awesome!" "Great, open the spreadsheet program. I'll be here making dinner if you need help."

I think my kids' teachers like that I guide and manage their time, but do not expect perfection (by which I mean work done by a child 3 decades out of elementary school).

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM

I'm big on my kids doing their own work, they should give it their best shot even if its not perfect, its theirs. I give help in the sense of helping them get the supplies they need, any physical help they need like if something is clay and needed to be cooked or if they want to know how to make paper mache or something, but they need to come up with their own ideas and do their own work. I love their school projects. My kindergartener has a poster on whales due in a few days for science and hes making a poster on the Revolutionary War for social studies due at the end of the month. My 4th grader brother (I'm my younger siblings guardian) has a diarama of various Native American houses due in a couple weeks and has to do a presentation on Dio de los Muertos due right before Halloween, he's making a powerpoint, a mini alter, and hes carving foam skulls to paint. My 8th grader sister and 11th grader brother have various projects, but they have a few weeks before those are due.

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM
Ds1 has already had a couple. My class has already had 2.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

We haven't hit the project age yet with our kids. 

But I hate to hear that parents find projects tedious. As a teacher I want parents doing very little with projects I assign. I've been known to send them back for a redo if the parents involvement is too much. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)