Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I received a note home last Monday to come in for a meeting on Friday because of my sons behavior. So I went to the meeting on Friday. Had to leave work early to do this. So I sit down for our meeting and she tells me that my 5 year old isn't raising his hand all the time, and is calling the answers out instead. That he is also talking to much to his friends around him. The note she send home was very blank about what the meeting was for. Would you be annoyed if you were called into a meeting for this? I expected the issues to be a lot worse and took all his toys and fun away on Monday when I received the note home, because she didn't really say what it was about. I am annoyed cause she could have sent a note home the second or third day that this went on, and I would have spoken to him then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

This reply is addressing your post, Gwen MB:

Jennyanne agreed with VintageWife, whom I just quoted.  These are facts that are here in this post.

In my book, writing such a comment and AGREEING  with this IS rude and disrespectful.

This really takes a lot of nerve (but of course this is cyber-space, anything goes, doesn't it?) to say "........It makes the teacher look stupid and incompetent".

What concerns me is the three of you are trying to not only  belittle a teacher, of whom I stated last night is NOT around to defend herself, but then added to that,  then you go after me, a teacher, because I share my expertise of having been a teacher and working with parents and kids for a very long time.  I have always had standards like these:  of keeping certain items private and being respectful of the dignity of human beings, not only in real life, but now as well on the Internet.

I am beginning to wonder what was the purpose of this post? :  to get advice or to validate the OP's decisions?

What continues to floor me is to know that a Mother went to cyber space with the problem before the teacher had a chance to get involved. 

She ALLOWED  Mothers to talk about the teacher behind her back, judge her and then agrees when she gets the answers she is looking for....She even listens to the opinions of others and acts on them before she goes to the teacher.

Such DRAMA....

Veronica

Quoting VintageWife:

I don't agree with Veronica. A small child not raising their hand is never a reason to call an in school meeting. It makes the teacher look stupid and incompetent.

incognito116
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Former teacher here- you sound like you're from the "teachers never to anything wrong" crowd. Get over yourself.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

This reply is addressing your post, Gwen MB:

Jennyanne agreed with VintageWife, whom I just quoted.  These are facts that are here in this post.

In my book, writing such a comment and AGREEING  with this IS rude and disrespectful.

This really takes a lot of nerve (but of course this is cyber-space, anything goes, doesn't it?) to say "........It makes the teacher look stupid and incompetent".

What concerns me is the three of you are trying to not only  belittle a teacher, of whom I stated last night is NOT around to defend herself, but then added to that,  then you go after me, a teacher, because I share my expertise of having been a teacher and working with parents and kids for a very long time.  I have always had standards like these:  of keeping certain items private and being respectful of the dignity of human beings, not only in real life, but now as well on the Internet.

I am beginning to wonder what was the purpose of this post? :  to get advice or to validate the OP's decisions?

What continues to floor me is to know that a Mother went to cyber space with the problem before the teacher had a chance to get involved. 

She ALLOWED  Mothers to talk about the teacher behind her back, judge her and then agrees when she gets the answers she is looking for....She even listens to the opinions of others and acts on them before she goes to the teacher.

Such DRAMA....

Veronica

Quoting VintageWife:

I don't agree with Veronica. A small child not raising their hand is never a reason to call an in school meeting. It makes the teacher look stupid and incompetent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM
3 moms liked this

I wouldn't be annoyed at all. I'd be thrilled that my child had a teacher who wanted him to excel and school. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting VintageWife:

A child not raising their hand disrupts the learning for the other students, inhibits the teacher's ability to assess learning during instruction, and establishes bad habits that can follow him through school.  Teachers are constantly assessing students mastery of material as they teach. A child calling out answers makes that impossible. It basically ruins the instruction. 

How anyone can think a teacher is incompetent for addressing concerns with a parent is totally beyond me. 

AnGLInterrupted
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Well one, I think you over-reacted to a note.  I would have tried to talk to my child to see if there was something that I should know about before I took all of his toys away..  but that's neither here nor there at this point.

Second, I wouldn't be annoyed.  Maybe a little anxious.  But to be fair I have had to send notes TO school like that.  It works both ways. 

myboysRmyhero
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Id be a tad bit ticked off that i hadnt got a note sooner about what was going on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I never said it was her fault, for me jumping the gun. I was wrong to punish him before knowing what he actually did.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Those are disruptive behaviors in a classroom.

You should have inquired more about the behaviors prior to punishing him. For all you knew she was going to share that he has been tearful in school, not making friends and not participating in class - those are behaviors as well.

Teacher wanted to discuss a disruptive behavior, asked you to come in. Sounds normal to me.

It is not her fault you jumped the gun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
3 moms liked this
You said one page one that she should have told you what was going on in the note. If she did, there would have been no need for the meeting.
I would be happy that the teacher is taking the time out of her day to discuss your child face to face, vs just saying "this kid talks in class and doesn't raise his hand, I'll just ignore it"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Jennyanne322:

So you are upset a teacher wanted to discuss your son's disruptive behaviors with you?

Personally, I'd be happy my child's teacher was willing to take time out of her day and spend time with a parent discussing how my child can be more productive and what he needs to work on.
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Most teachers will give the child time to adjust to the school setting and let them know what they need to work on before calling in the parents.

I talked to my sons teacher on Friday and she said he was having a few issues but she would give him more time before deciding he needed a parent conference

Quoting myboysRmyhero:

Id be a tad bit ticked off that i hadnt got a note sooner about what was going on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)