Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I received a note home last Monday to come in for a meeting on Friday because of my sons behavior. So I went to the meeting on Friday. Had to leave work early to do this. So I sit down for our meeting and she tells me that my 5 year old isn't raising his hand all the time, and is calling the answers out instead. That he is also talking to much to his friends around him. The note she send home was very blank about what the meeting was for. Would you be annoyed if you were called into a meeting for this? I expected the issues to be a lot worse and took all his toys and fun away on Monday when I received the note home, because she didn't really say what it was about. I am annoyed cause she could have sent a note home the second or third day that this went on, and I would have spoken to him then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Your child's behaviors are disruptive. End of story.  It IS a big deal.  If the teacher contacted you, then it's something that needs to be worked on.  To be annoyed that the teacher 1) contacted you to solve a problem regarding YOUR child 2) gave you SEVERAL days to arrange a meeting and 3) showed that she wants your child to succeed by including you in the process is asinine. The excuse that he's only 5, is just that an EXCUSE.  If he's a "young five" then you have to work EXTRA with him to make sure that he understands interrupting/disrupting the class is NOT acceptable.  I am with others, to come on the internet for advice without knowing the details and then to be angry because YOU overreacted is juvenile and petty. 

Jennyanne322
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM
I asker her that. They have been in school for a month now. Her reasoning was she wanted to give him a chane to change.

Quoting myboysRmyhero:

Id be a tad bit ticked off that i hadnt got a note sooner about what was going on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Most Kindergartners don't know about raising their hands to speak. So there is no need to contact the parents. The kids need time to learn proper behavior. 

By this time of year most students understand the expectations and are able to behave accordingly. Obviously your son is having a harder time with this than some of his classmates.  

I really don't see how this offends you. Meeting face to face is by far the most effective way to communicate. I always ask for an in person meeting to discus concerns with parents. It never occurred to me it would irritate them that I want us to work together to help the child improve. 

Quoting Jennyanne322:

I asker her that. They have been in school for a month now. Her reasoning was she wanted to give him a chane to change.

Quoting myboysRmyhero:

Id be a tad bit ticked off that i hadnt got a note sooner about what was going on!

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

That is being very fair of a teacher, to give children a chance to change before calling home, unless there was something that involved  behavior so inapppropriate that would result in a child being sent to the office:  picking on another student, hurting others or himself, ect.  THAT requires urgency.

This teacher apparently has the routine of letting kids get through this adjustment period of about a month to get settled.

What I appreciate about this teacher is that her way of handling this was very calm.  She cared, but yet was very tranquil.

Veronica

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Quoting myboysRmyhero:

deadlights86
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Wow a simple phone call would have been more than enough in this situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting deadlights86:

Maybe - maybe not. We have no way of knowing the severity of the issue or related issues going on. Considering the teacher felt the need to take time our of her busy day to meet, I'm guessing a conference was warranted.

Conferences take a good deal of time to schedule, prep for and then have. I dOnt know any teachers that request one if they do not feel it is needed.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Maybe - maybe not. We have no way of knowing the severity of the issue or related issues going on. Considering the teacher felt the need to take time our of her busy day to meet, I'm guessing a conference was warranted.

Conferences take a good deal of time to schedule, prep for and then have. I dOnt know any teachers that request one if they do not feel it is needed.

Exactly

The teacher wouldn't waste her own time unless it was important. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

EXACTLY!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM
As a teacher id have waited for Fall conferences to address that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM
He won't raise his hand and he's talking? I had to sit with my ds through half of kindergarten year. 70% of the kids had that problem. Especially the younger kids.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN