Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I received a note home last Monday to come in for a meeting on Friday because of my sons behavior. So I went to the meeting on Friday. Had to leave work early to do this. So I sit down for our meeting and she tells me that my 5 year old isn't raising his hand all the time, and is calling the answers out instead. That he is also talking to much to his friends around him. The note she send home was very blank about what the meeting was for. Would you be annoyed if you were called into a meeting for this? I expected the issues to be a lot worse and took all his toys and fun away on Monday when I received the note home, because she didn't really say what it was about. I am annoyed cause she could have sent a note home the second or third day that this went on, and I would have spoken to him then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM
I seem to have a conference every other week. My ds has autism but is in normal classes they don't seem to take that much time the teacher has a planning period or the kids go to music gym or art.

Quoting mjande4:

EXACTLY!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Wow a simple phone call would have been more than enough in this situation.

Maybe - maybe not. We have no way of knowing the severity of the issue or related issues going on. Considering the teacher felt the need to take time our of her busy day to meet, I'm guessing a conference was warranted.

Conferences take a good deal of time to schedule, prep for and then have. I dOnt know any teachers that request one if they do not feel it is needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

What do you think the planning period is for!?  It's so the teacher can PLAN the lessons and GRADE papers, not have a conference, although some will occur.  That time is PRECIOUS!  You have NO idea how many parents that she/he is contacting either.  Conferences take time out of the day and/or week.  IF the teacher is scheduling one, it's important!

Quoting deadlights86:

I seem to have a conference every other week. My ds has autism but is in normal classes they don't seem to take that much time the teacher has a planning period or the kids go to music gym or art.

Quoting mjande4:

EXACTLY!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Maybe - maybe not. We have no way of knowing the severity of the issue or related issues going on. Considering the teacher felt the need to take time our of her busy day to meet, I'm guessing a conference was warranted.

Conferences take a good deal of time to schedule, prep for and then have. I dOnt know any teachers that request one if they do not feel it is needed.

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow -  no they don't.

Will a child occassionally blurt out an answer?  Sure- that happens?

A child regularly and categorically not raising his hand, blurting out answers and failing to follow the rules on how to share his thougths in a classroom?  No - that is a problem.

Quoting deadlights86:

He won't raise his hand and he's talking? I had to sit with my ds through half of kindergarten year. 70% of the kids had that problem. Especially the younger kids.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Kathy489
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. I am a teacher, as well. The child is 5, and his behavior is perfectly normal. It is the teacher's job to set examples and boundaries in the classroom. Save the conferences for something more serious.

Quoting VintageWife:

I don't agree with Veronica. A small child not raising their hand is never a reason to call an in school meeting. It makes the teacher look stupid and incompetent.

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Obviously there are issues that need to be addressed then if you are meeting regularly.

I honestly don't understand what you are getting at with your second sentence.

Quoting deadlights86:

Quoting mjande4:

EXACTLY!

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Not every school has regularly scheduled fall conferences  (or any regularly scheduled conference days, for that matter).  I know ours does not.

Quoting KairisMama:

As a teacher id have waited for Fall conferences to address that.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Ok I guess the kids in ds class just all had problems then.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Wow -  no they don't.

Will a child occassionally blurt out an answer?  Sure- that happens?

A child regularly and categorically not raising his hand, blurting out answers and failing to follow the rules on how to share his thougths in a classroom?  No - that is a problem.

Quoting deadlights86:

He won't raise his hand and he's talking? I had to sit with my ds through half of kindergarten year. 70% of the kids had that problem. Especially the younger kids.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I disagree wholeheartedly!  The behavior is NOT acceptable in the classroom, particularly a month or more into school.  The classroom norms require waiting for your turn and this child is disrupting the learning environment by not.

Quoting Kathy489:

I agree with this. I am a teacher, as well. The child is 5, and his behavior is perfectly normal. It is the teacher's job to set examples and boundaries in the classroom. Save the conferences for something more serious.

Quoting VintageWife:

I don't agree with Veronica. A small child not raising their hand is never a reason to call an in school meeting. It makes the teacher look stupid and incompetent.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Wow

That doesn't sound like any kindergarten class I've ever been in. My son's preK class isn't even like that. 

Quoting deadlights86:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting deadlights86:

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

A child occassionally blurting out happens - but categorically  not following the rules of the class and regularly disrupting lessons to speak as he pleases?  No - that goes way beyond "perfectly normal".

As a teacher, I would imagine you know just about every behavior exists on a continuum in regards to frequency and intensity.  Occasional behaviors at one end of the continuum are very different than ones at the other end.

Quoting Kathy489:

Quoting VintageWife:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)