Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kindergarten Head Injuries?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM
  • 9 Replies

My son is in Kindergarten. In the last 6 weeks, I've gotten notes sent home and calls from the nurse THREE times that my son has had a head injury at school. The first two times I just shrugged off, one was on the playground and the second was in PE class and I figured it was just kids being kids and merely accidents.

It is the third time that I am overly concerned about. Or am I? Instead of getting in lunch line, he had brought his own lunch and went straight to the table he was told to sit at. Where he slipped and fell trying to get onto the bench and hit his forehead. He stood up and tried to sit down on the bench again and slipped and fell backwards. His forehead had a bump, there was a large bump on the back of his head just above where his head meets his neck, and his left leg had a lot of little bruises down it. He complained about his leg pain for three days after. The nurse sent him back to class, but I went and picked him up since it was the third incident and I was very worried.

I have since discovered that another student had spilled milk on the table that dripped off onto the bench and floor. The janitor then cleaned it up, but left it wet. It was not blocked off or dried off. My son was wearing tennis shoes with good traction. He isn't very good about tying laces yet so I make sure he doesn't wear shoes with laces to school and don't let him wear sandals either.

I spoke with his teacher that I'm concerned, but she carries no weight with what happens outside of her classroom. What should I do? Should I be meeting with the Principal or Vice Principal?

If I knew this was an isolated incident, I would think differently.....But, I've seen TWO other kids slip and fall in the hallway from water on the floor.

And I also feel like had this happened in a public place like a mall, most people would have called a lawyer.

My husband is worried that if we push things with the Principal that they will be looking for any reason to turn the table and end up reporting us to CPS(we have NOTHING to hide, we just don't want the drama). My son was enrolled in preschool and until he started Kindergarten had never had a head injury.

What would you do? Am I being too overprotective?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I would express your concerns to the principal, not placing blame on anyone and asking what they do with areas that are wet for students so they do not slip and fall.  How did the other 2 incidents happen?  DD has only gotten the "typical" scraped knees during recess.

beadfairy
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Both of the other kids I've seen fall were in the hallways. One was explained away as 'one of the students, in a classroom that doesn't have a drinking fountain, must have brought a water bottle, left it open, stuck it in their backpack and walked down the hallway with it dripping.' (Because this has happened multiple times). The second one was because a fourth grade class was hauling water for science experiments from the public restrooms to their classroom. They weren't given a closed container and therefore their buckets had sloshed around all over the hallway....

The little girl that fell during the second time had already had knee surgery on the knee she fell on. My heart literally broke for her.

Both the hallways and the lunch room are such public areas, I'm very surprised they aren't more careful.

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

((Hugs)), Mama.

I believe this is a matter that must be brought to the attention of the principal.  Every adult in the school needs to be responsible for children.

Have you had a doctor examine him after these head injuries? 

To be on the safe side I would have your son examined, even now.

Take care,

Veronica

AnGLInterrupted
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Why would CPS be called on YOU for talking to the school about their lack of saftey??  I don't see it happening.

Personally, I would bring it up to the principal.  It's not just your child that is at risk, but the whole student body.  Schools have janitors for a reason right?  And if he/she doesn't want to do their job, there are plenty of people out there looking for work right now.  KWIM?

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I agree with all this:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

((Hugs)), Mama.

I believe this is a matter that must be brought to the attention of the principal.  Every adult in the school needs to be responsible for children.

Have you had a doctor examine him after these head injuries? 

To be on the safe side I would have your son examined, even now.

Take care,

Veronica

Dawn
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a little of both.  I would let the school know about spills, but I also would remind you that kids, particularly boys, are CLUMSY.  They are in such a hurry to get to the playground, etc.  that they don't always make good decisions.  I would remind your son to slow down and take in his surroundings also.

ShandellsBaby
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM

i would talk to the principal about your concerns

Tracys2
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

It sounds like yes, there's an issue because there are wet spots a lot in your school on the floors and they get slippery and kids fall, but that it only affected the last injury (playground and gym are not custodial issues).

I'd say something like "hey, when I've been in the school, I've seen multiple kids slipping on wet spots. Shouldn't we get a "wet floor" sign or dry the spots, so someone doesn't go nuts and sue?"

While I'd like to imagine nobody would ever sue over wet spots on a floor- I continue those dangers part of being alive that we just deal with, custodians or not- you're right that it's possible and that might scare the principal into action, which will keep the kids just that little bit safer.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I would go talk to the principal about it, just be calm about it. It is something that does need to be taken care of by the school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)