Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Going from counting to 12 to counting to 100.

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM
  • 8 Replies

both my children have IEP's and there school just started the CORE system this year. One of the goals for my 5 year old is to count to 100 by the end of the year. Right now he is working on 20 but often misses and can only successfully count to 12 with no mistakes. I know practice practice practice! but i dont want to bore my children with education. what would you recomend on going from counting to 12 to 100. whats the best way to teach my son?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Just count everything. I agree with the 1-20 first. Education, if done in a fun and playful way isn't boring.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM

If you have an iPhone or Ipad there are lots of apps that make it fun. 

Counting catterpillar is a great one. 

TATUMSMOMMY456
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM
My DD5 is doing the same thing. She gets to 100 but gets confused going from like 49 to 50, 69 to 70 and so on. Dd is so bored with practicing this but the teacher said if they make one mistake the score stops there so I have to force her to practice. Did they give her a sheet with all the numbers listed to look at? That's has helped dd learn them.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Have her make a number line for her room and add an additional number each day/night.

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I found this YouTube video that not only says how to say each number, but it also shows what the number looks like and how to spell it.

It also to me is going at a slow enough pace (as compared to some other ones I found on YouTube counting to 100.)

I hope this is of help to you. :)

Veronica

PS.  This copy is sounding a little choppy to me. I believe it does not sound so choppy when you listen to it directly from Youtube.

I am going to check this out. 

The Big Numbers Song-YouTube

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The book "Chicka Chicka 123" is also a great way to read and learn the numbers to a hundred.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM
We would count in the car! Take turns, have my son catch my mistake, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Oh and printing out a number chart to 100 helped him see that all he really needed to remember were the transition numbers...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN