Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tattle tongue

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM
  • 5 Replies
Let me start off by saying I love my child's school and I swear her teacher is a saint. She deals with 25 gifted children day in and day out and has never ending patience. ( Im trying to figure out her secret ) A couple of weeks ago I saw that in thier life lesson time they were working on tattling. Well I figured with so many kids its important to get that under control so I didnt think to much of it. However the way they are handling this is giving me pause. The teachers ( 2 kinder classes that frequently do things together) are telling the children if they tattle they will get tattle tongue. They have a chart up with the symptoms and everything. Your tongue turns yellow with green spots and eventually people stop hearing you. I think those are the exact symptoms. I was so startled when i walked by it on my way out I didnt really see. But despite my best effortsI am now having trouble convincing my child she cannot get e physical medical condition feom telling on someone. And she is so afraid of this condition she is having trouble discerning the difference between tattling and warning. Anywho... any one else see an issue with this? I am trying to be very careful in explaining it so that I do not undermine the teacher's authority but I also dont want her afraid of catching tattle tongue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:09 PM
I'm surprised. I'd talk to the teacher and let her know how your daughter is reacting to it
I agree with trying to curb tattling, but if somebody is doing something dangerous, the teacher should know
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM

LOL

I think you need to share your concerns with the teacher just like you did here. The teacher needs to explain this to her to stop her confusion. 

I will say that tattling in a gifted Kindergarten class is probably a HUGE problem. All kids that age have a hard time distinguishing between between telling an adult about something serious and tattling. And gifted kids tend to have an even harder time. 

It sounds like the teacher had what she thought was a cute idea that went a little awry. She needs to clarify. 

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I figured I would speak to her. But I wasnt sure if anyone else saw an issue with it or if I was just having one of those " only my kid" issues. Sometimes her very logical no nonsense approach creates problems no one could have foreseen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM
I would explain that warning is when someone is doing something that will hurt you or someone else physically...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM
IdId just let the teacher know and maybe she could adjust her lesson. Some kids r also more literal than others. Tattling is a huge thing for that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN