Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

cheap costumes

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
  • 44 Replies
My 3 boys look foward to halloween almost as much as they do Christmas. This year, unfortunately, we can't afford to go out and buy them costumes. I'm looking for ideas for something we can make at home. Not looking for any opinions on why halloween is wrong, get the 'devil speech' from my family already, just good, cheap ideas for homemade costumes. Anybody got any?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this
How old are they and what do they want to be?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilbit04
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Any way you could use old costumes from previous years?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Do you have any old clothing you can rip/cut up and make them all into zombies?  One year I went as a lumberjack, I put on my winter boots, dark jeans and a flannel shirt LOL.  Are any of them in sports or have sports gear?

momof3woods
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM
They're 9, 6, and 4. The 9 yr old wants zombie, vampire, or ninja. The 6 and 4 yr old don't care as long as they are 'superheros'. As far as using previous costumes, my boys are funny like this, they play 'dress up ' all year so most old costumes are in horrible shape.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Make or buy masks at dollar tree for the younger ones and have them defend citizens against their brother who turned into a zombie.

Quoting momof3woods:

They're 9, 6, and 4. The 9 yr old wants zombie, vampire, or ninja. The 6 and 4 yr old don't care as long as they are 'superheros'. As far as using previous costumes, my boys are funny like this, they play 'dress up ' all year so most old costumes are in horrible shape.

momof3woods
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM
That's one choice of oldest, zombie. I'm just so 'not creative', hope I can pull this off without too much disappointment on his part.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Do you have any old clothing you can rip/cut up and make them all into zombies?  One year I went as a lumberjack, I put on my winter boots, dark jeans and a flannel shirt LOL.  Are any of them in sports or have sports gear?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3woods
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Didn't think of dollar tree, great idea, might be able to swing a few bucks. :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Make or buy masks at dollar tree for the younger ones and have them defend citizens against their brother who turned into a zombie.

Quoting momof3woods:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you still have baby powder in the house?  That can be used as a paling makeup and use black eyeliner for contouring to make him scarier........ I can google homemade costumes if you want.

Quoting momof3woods:

That's one choice of oldest, zombie. I'm just so 'not creative', hope I can pull this off without too much disappointment on his part.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Daya81
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this

maybe a diy project? these are cardboard boxes and plastic cups, painted. ask stores for their empty boxes and use dollar store cups. i also saw a cardboard robot.

momof3woods
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome, love it!

Quoting Daya81:

maybe a diy project? these are cardboard boxes and plastic cups, painted. ask stores for their empty boxes and use dollar store cups. i also saw a cardboard robot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)