Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My 3 boys look foward to halloween almost as much as they do Christmas. This year, unfortunately, we can't afford to go out and buy them costumes. I'm looking for ideas for something we can make at home. Not looking for any opinions on why halloween is wrong, get the 'devil speech' from my family already, just good, cheap ideas for homemade costumes. Anybody got any?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
momof3woods
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Great ideas!!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Do you still have baby powder in the house?  That can be used as a paling makeup and use black eyeliner for contouring to make him scarier........ I can google homemade costumes if you want.

Quoting momof3woods:

That's one choice of oldest, zombie. I'm just so 'not creative', hope I can pull this off without too much disappointment on his part.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Do you have any old clothing you can rip/cut up and make them all into zombies?  One year I went as a lumberjack, I put on my winter boots, dark jeans and a flannel shirt LOL.  Are any of them in sports or have sports gear?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM
My daughter was a Zombie prom queen last year. I gave her messy hair, a plain white mask (easiest for the school parade), black under the eyes and lips, ripped her clothes. Some fake blood, crown and gloves and we were done. Might have a pic if it will help.

Quoting momof3woods:

That's one choice of oldest, zombie. I'm just so 'not creative', hope I can pull this off without too much disappointment on his part.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Do you have any old clothing you can rip/cut up and make them all into zombies?  One year I went as a lumberjack, I put on my winter boots, dark jeans and a flannel shirt LOL.  Are any of them in sports or have sports gear?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:58 AM
Cardboard box painted blue and suspenders = little engine that could
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna2468403
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Go online to familyfun.com or google what your looking for there are sooooo many ideas out there that do not cost an arm and a leg. Also you could check out your local thrift store or consignment shop.

babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM
That is just too cute!

Quoting Daya81:

maybe a diy project? these are cardboard boxes and plastic cups, painted. ask stores for their empty boxes and use dollar store cups. i also saw a cardboard robot.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Zombie is the easiest. All you need is some old makeup(yours), gel blood(cheap at $1 store) and some old clothes of his that are torn and stained. Here is a step by step on the makeup.

What sort of costumes from last year do you have?

How about friends that have kids, could you do a costume swap?

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Here is my 5 minute Zombie from a few years ago with my oldest...

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Anybody have costumes u could borrow or have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:12 AM

And here is a link to a site that shows you how to make homemade superhero costumes. Although I would skip making the shirt, and use a shirt they have of a favorite superhero logo(IE:  Batman, Caption America).

And here is another place.

Des10ed2b
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

i was just thinking the exact same thing!

Quoting momof3woods:

That's awesome, love it!

Quoting Daya81:

maybe a diy project? these are cardboard boxes and plastic cups, painted. ask stores for their empty boxes and use dollar store cups. i also saw a cardboard robot.

Proud mom of an ornery 3 year old boy, a very smart 6 year old girl! Married for 4.5 years, together for 7! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)