Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My 3 boys look foward to halloween almost as much as they do Christmas. This year, unfortunately, we can't afford to go out and buy them costumes. I'm looking for ideas for something we can make at home. Not looking for any opinions on why halloween is wrong, get the 'devil speech' from my family already, just good, cheap ideas for homemade costumes. Anybody got any?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
Des10ed2b
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM

both a vampire and a zombie are pretty easy. my brother was a vampire for a couple years and would just wear black pants and a white button up shirt, my mom slicked his hair back with vegetable oil and then we would put fake blood on the corners of his mouth. as for a zombie, just grab some clothes that are already pretty torn up, tear them up more, and use lots of fake blood. you can use purple eye shadow to make it look like he has bags under his eyes or bruises and things like that. 

have you looked on craiglist? lots of times there are people there selling their stuff for really cheap, or even giving it away for free. 

i was a farmer one year. i just picked up a cheap hat somewhere and wore jeans and one of my husbands old stripped, button up shirts. (my daughter was 1 and she was a cow. lol.)

my son is going to be a "jedi" this year. he kept changing his mind, so i just got him a pair of brown paints, an off-white shirt, a brown sweater, some brown boots, and one of my husband's brown leather belts works perfectly to wrap all the way around his waist. I also just got a quarter of a yard of brown fleece fabric and cut a hole in the middle. it works perfectly for a "vest". he wears it in the car when we take his coat off (the belt straps) to keep his back and chest warm and then we put his coat across the front of him. 

go check out the dollar store. you make find more stuff there than you thought you would that will help!

mommy9518
by New Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Walmart has costumes for $6. Know you didnt want to spend money but for 6 dollars it might be just as cheap as making them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelyuna20
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM

there's lots of sites with suggestions of DIY costumes. parents.com (parents magazine's website) had a lot of good options like crayola crayons, cowboy, pirate, mummy, ghost etc.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM
All of the ladies have given great odeas, I would like to add check freecycle.com if you have one in your area they might have costumes. I got my gorls first three years of costumes at thrify stores, then of course they got opinions , lol. And i couldnt find sparkly witch at the the thrift store. But if you have the time you may wanna check it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melisawoosley
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Blue sweat pants and shirt get some white and red and make a star and a belt and insta capt America :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Wear a sweat suit, cut out logo from paper to pin to shirt.  Towel for cape.

Quoting momof3woods:

They're 9, 6, and 4. The 9 yr old wants zombie, vampire, or ninja. The 6 and 4 yr old don't care as long as they are 'superheros'. As far as using previous costumes, my boys are funny like this, they play 'dress up ' all year so most old costumes are in horrible shape.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Dress in camo and go as a hunter, check thrift stores for costumes, zombies

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM
I think www.familyfun.com has costume ideas
lnk8522
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

thrift stores, goodwill, and salvation army are sellign costumes pretty cheap right now, oorr, you can get a 12 buck bottle of liquid latex and give them a buch of scars,

KRIZZ25
not everyone's child should be treated special ..
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM
i got a vacuum box .cut holes out for head and arm holes ../put colored paper on it and turned it in to a transformer car .."24" of course.my son loves it.. u can do clown or mabie surfer dude wth shorts ,shirt ..or mabie dress him up wth tie and shuts like he is a FBI.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)