Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
My 3 boys look foward to halloween almost as much as they do Christmas. This year, unfortunately, we can't afford to go out and buy them costumes. I'm looking for ideas for something we can make at home. Not looking for any opinions on why halloween is wrong, get the 'devil speech' from my family already, just good, cheap ideas for homemade costumes. Anybody got any?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
my123sons
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My oldest ds in his homemade zombie costume.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I haven't read through the responses, but theater groups sometimes sell old costumes in Halloween as fundraisers and then there is always Goodwill.

CDMelty
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Ghost is the cheapest. After that, I'd say Staypuft marshmallow man (white sweats and face paint), or just make an outfit they wouldn't normally wear. Basketball star if they have the shorts and jersey. Cowboy, super hero, girl (if they can borrow clothes). Girl was always a good last-minute costume for my brother. I liked doing his hair and make-up lol.

3boys_1princess
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Quoting Daya81:

maybe a diy project? these are cardboard boxes and plastic cups, painted. ask stores for their empty boxes and use dollar store cups. i also saw a cardboard robot.

This is awesome.
3boys_1princess
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM
My brother was a California raisin one year. Black pants, white gloves, black garbage bag with head and arm holes cut out. Gathered at the bottom and stuffed with newspapers.

He was a flasher one year when he was three. He had a trench coat and wore speedos underneath, with shoes. Probably not a good idea now but it was so funny.
jurnee14
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I did a ninja one yr with just black clothing and some nina swords I had, you can get them at dollar tree. For a super hero its pretty easy to make a cape, ghost is always easy.  my daughter was an accident victim one yr, we ran the car over her clothes to make tire tracks, made up her face with bruises, put her arm in a sling, an ace bandage here and there.

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Ghosts. White sheets from walmart about $5 each, cut out eyes and mouth. :)

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM

We make our own costumes every year. Usually we start weeks in advance, but with what your kids want to be, it should be pretty simple. For a zombie, rip up some old clothes or if you can't spare the clothes, get some 50 cent stuff at a second hand store, put some white makeup on him, like powder, if you have it, you can make fake blood with this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Fake-Blood

For a vampire, slick back his hair, dress him in a white dress shirt and black pants, get some fake fangs if you can, and use some more powder and fake blood. For a ninja, dress all in black and get a cheap ski mask, wrap a back scarf around his waist. For the superheroes, do they want to be like a superheroes in the movies, like Captain America or Batman, or just a superhero in general.

Quoting momof3woods:

They're 9, 6, and 4. The 9 yr old wants zombie, vampire, or ninja. The 6 and 4 yr old don't care as long as they are 'superheros'. As far as using previous costumes, my boys are funny like this, they play 'dress up ' all year so most old costumes are in horrible shape.

summerbear
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM
On a cheapie facebook group I got a Woody costume for ds for $5. She said her son wore it once, I can't tell! It looks brand new!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM
I saw brand new costumes at my Goodwill for about $5. Still had tags on them. Doesn't hurt to check.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN