Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Ughh! When is the school supposed to take some of the responsibility!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM
  • 24 Replies

Ok so our school this year has been horrible about telling parents anything this year they just constantly say check the website.  Well that would be fine and dandy if they ever updated the damn thing!  This week is homecoming well they supposidly made an announcement friday about today is pj day well over half the school didn't know because no one got a note and no one updated the website.  My daughter was highly upset when we got there and found out it was pj day to the point thankfully we only live 2 miles from the school that I brought her home and changed her really quick and took her back.  But heres the point they expect the parents to constantly do everything and the kids to remember to tell the parents everything.  Literally the 2nd graders are supposed to be singing at the pto meeting tonight but none of the parents know because the notes haven't went home and the website hasn't been updated since school started mid august!  So hate to tell them but not many are gonna show up.  Parents don't always believe every word their kids tell them.  Because without a note or something I wouldn't havent' sent my kid to school today in pjs because it is against dress codes.  When is the school/teachers supposed to take on some kind of responsibilty?  

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

The solution seems pretty easy.  Clearly, the school personnel is overwhelmed with other responsibilities.  Have a PTO member or you if you are inclined volunteer to be the person that updates the website a few times a week.  The website sounds like an easy thing to give a staff member, but when their plate is already overflowing, it gets sent to the back burner. 

confused0701
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Thats the point they have a guy they hired to deal with the website and keep it updated!  Why are we paying him $35,000 a year if he obviously can't do the damn job?

Quoting mjande4:

The solution seems pretty easy.  Clearly, the school personnel is overwhelmed with other responsibilities.  Have a PTO member or you if you are inclined volunteer to be the person that updates the website a few times a week.  The website sounds like an easy thing to give a staff member, but when their plate is already overflowing, it gets sent to the back burner. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Are you sure that they hired him to REGULARLY update the information!?  They might have hired him to initially set it up, but that's it.  IF, however, he was hired to update it, then I would be asking questions of the school/district.

Quoting confused0701:

Thats the point they have a guy they hired to deal with the website and keep it updated!  Why are we paying him $35,000 a year if he obviously can't do the damn job?

Quoting mjande4:

confused0701
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Yep its public knowledge!  And he can manage to keep the high school and middle school updated!  Yeah the superintendent is getting bombarded with calls and emails this morning from pissed parents.  This was the straw that broke the camels back.  Last week was the book fair and guess what no one knew and so hardly any one sent money with their kids.  There are parents on fb going off!  They've lit up the schools fb page and alot have literally took pjs to the school and had them pull their kids so they could change. Its sad that we are having to stoop to this level to get the school to open their eyes but its the only way to get any change at this place!  

Quoting mjande4:

Are you sure that they hired him to REGULARLY update the information!?  They might have hired him to initially set it up, but that's it.  IF, however, he was hired to update it, then I would be asking questions of the school/district.

Quoting confused0701:

Quoting mjande4:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I have to tell you, it's not very smart to have the same person in charge of a website for that many schools.  There is just way too much information to disseminate.  That's the first issue I see.  The second, would be that the person who is actually updating the webpage should be someone that is involved with that school.

Quoting confused0701:

Yep its public knowledge!  And he can manage to keep the high school and middle school updated!  Yeah the superintendent is getting bombarded with calls and emails this morning from pissed parents.  This was the straw that broke the camels back.  Last week was the book fair and guess what no one knew and so hardly any one sent money with their kids.  There are parents on fb going off!  They've lit up the schools fb page and alot have literally took pjs to the school and had them pull their kids so they could change. Its sad that we are having to stoop to this level to get the school to open their eyes but its the only way to get any change at this place!  

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting confused0701:

Quoting mjande4:

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You seem to know a lot about the person who is supposed to be doing this work-even the salary.

This is what I suggest:  Call for a meeting with the principal, and have prepared on paper incidents where you feel your children have been slighted:  Documentation.

Then politely ask the principal why the information is not getting on the website or in hard copy going home.

Then ask one more time if you can get what you need.

I agree with another person about responsibilities in the office.

But I also agree parents should be kept informed.

I also agree that perhaps someone else, who will promise to be dependable to get the job done volunteers or asks to be paid for that work, because it is a great deal of work to do that.

Perhaps you could suggest someone to take over this job or be part of the solution.

Good luck.

Veronica

Quoting confused0701:

Quoting mjande4:

peanutsmommy1
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

IDK, I get an email notice every time the teacher updates something on her class webpage, I just got one a few minutes ago

coleysmama
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you have regular open school board meetings? We have them once a month. Thats where we bring our concerns if they are not resolved on a lower level. Contact as many parents as you can, either by email or in person to see how many can back you up at the meeting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
I would talk to the principal, let her know that you have been checking the website but the info isn't making it to the site. Or an email of "this is the site, right? There's nothing new on it"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I would also like to add if the school has a facebook page, then why isn't whoever is that moderator giving out the information.  Instead of using facebook as a gossip page, use it as a message outlet.  I think parents that use facebook to demean others, including schools, make themselves look like the problem instead of the solution. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)