Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How much homework does your 1st grader have?

Posted by   + Show Post
DS has a math page once or twice a week, a reader sent home Monday and due Wednesday, and a spelling test on Friday (so we practice every night). I don't think it's a whole lot, it usually takes us 30-45 minutes a night. But, one of the moms I talk to has been complaining about how much homework they get. How much homework does your 1st grader get? Is this a lot?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Replies (31-37):
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM

My oldest was in 1st grade last year.  He got a math sheet every night.  That took no more than 5 min to complete.  In fact, the teacher's said if it takes more than 5 min, let them know because that means the child needs add'l help.  He was given spelling words every Mon for which he would be tested every Friday, so a few min of studying every night.  Then he was also given a reading comprehension sheet once a week - this involved reading a short story and then answering a few questions about it.  It was always sent home on Mon and due on Friday.  It took maybe 10 - 15 to complete and like I said was only the one for the week.  Beyond that it was just reading books at their own pace.  DH or I would sign off on these books as they read them but there was no requirement for how many they had to get through.  The concept was that as long as they were continually practicing their reading and showing improvement, that's all that mattered.

So all in all I would say no more than 30 minutes a night.  I remember one big project at the end of the year but they had several weeks over which they worked on it, both in class and at home.  So again, not a big time committment out of the classroom.

For what it's worth, my son now in 2nd grade doesn't have too much more than that.  It's one math sheet a night, one reading comprehension a week, one home school link a week, one spelling test a week, and one supplemental reader (reading a book) a week.  Again, definitely no more than 30 - 45 minutes a night.

My guess is that the mom who's complaining, is really complaining that she needs to take time herself to help her child {{eyeroll}}  -or-  perhaps her child is struggling more than s/he should be and the mom should look into a tutor.

rsyoung73
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM

my first grader only gets one letter trace sheet and one counting sheet, but he's in a kindergarden level. No formal tests at all.  I've complained but the teacher says this is independent work, and they do harder stuff in class.  I have one on a second grade level, he does writing spelling words twice, a bible verse, and one sentence, and math sheet every night.  Test on spelling, bible verse and math every friday.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

We have a kid news page and a math page every night . Sight word strips everynight , a book sent home each night plus they are to read independently 20 minutes every night. 

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM

2-sided math sheet 2-3 times per week.  Book for AR to read every night.  Additional reading homework maybe 1-2 times per week.

gracie0221
by Gracie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

she has a spelling sheet and a math sheet to do everyday. She also has a reading comprehension to do, and then read 3 books everynight. on weds, she has to do a "book report" and it's due on thursday.

2girlz3boyz
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM
my two 1st graders have about 2 front n back spelling sheete and 2 front n bak math and have to read everyday for 20 min. takes bot 20 mins
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM

When my 8 year old was in 1st. It was a maybe two worksheets a week. They only took 5-10 mins. She is in third grade know and they say if takes them longer then 10mins to finish a worksheet. Then it is not appropriate for there age and to let them know. We just started spelling words this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)