Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can School Lunches Be Too Healthy?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 9 Replies

Dumb School Yells at Lunch Lady for Serving Healthy, Delicious Food

Posted by The Stir Bloggers

kids eating lunchWell, this is just ridiculous! A lunch lady at a school in Sweden was actually reprimanded by administrators for serving food that was "too good."

At lunchtime, Annika Eriksson used to serve students freshly baked bread and an assortment of up to 15 vegetables. Sounds delicious, right? Apparently not! Eriksson came under fire by school officials because they said her meals are so yummy that it is "unfair" to other schools with less appetizing cafeteria food.

Huh?!

Now, they are ordering her to bring her meals down a notch in quality and cut down her menu in order to comply with the local healthy diet plan. What?! How does that make any sense?

Eriksson, for her part, rebukes claims that she has "spoiled" students with her meals and says that her cooking expertise has not added to the expenses of the school. Meanwhile, parents and their hungry kids are obviously furious about the decision and have launched a petition in favor of Eriksson in protest. 

I can't say I blame them! Aren't European countries supposed to be ahead of America in terms of health and education? Why would the school take away nutritious food that kids actually like just to match the meals in other schools, which are apparently much worse? Do they not realize how hard it is to get kids to eat their vegetables and that the lunch lady was actually doing everybody a favor (especially the students!) by serving healthier and yummier meals? Instead of reprimanding Eriksson, administrators have been praising her and using her cooking as an example for other school cafeterias to follow.  

Do you agree with the school district or with the Eriksson?

Can school lunches be too healthy?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
maass1981
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow! They should not ask her to stop, if she can do what she is doing and fit it in the budget, she should be praised.  I love that this year our school has all whole grain breads and is fitting more fresh fruit onto the menu.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That is messed up. If the kids are willing to eat the healthier stuff, great I would keep it. My kids school offers a wide variety of stuff and fruits and veggies each day that my kids will eat

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

That is ridiculous. I don't get why people are complaining about schools putting healthy foods on the menu.  Our district now serves fresh fruit, salads, and healthy snacks like yogurt and carrot sticks. My kids love the new menu.

Tracys2
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM

That's silly and just goes to show there are (not surprisingly) crazy stories that make no sense everywhere, not just here. At least 99% of the people mentioned in the story know they have a good thing going that should be encouraged.

ambercates
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I'm a teacher, and the students are not eating the new healthy trays! They are going hungry! I encourage them to taste things, but 5 yr olds usually won't! I think they need to have healthy food, but kids need foods they like to eat! Some of the items served look gross, and I don't blame them for not eating them! Just my opinion!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

That is SO backwards.

They need to tell their other schools to UP THEIR GAME... not have her take steps back down!

AmberRose1122
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM
I agree to a point. My son eats a healthy diet at home, but honestly, it's because I know what healthy foods he will eat. There are a lot of traditional foods that kids enjoy that can be made more healthy, but trying to go too far with it and the kids won't touch it. I've worked with kids for 15 years and have learned that you just sometimes have to give them yucky chicken nuggets.

Quoting ambercates:

I'm a teacher, and the students are not eating the new healthy trays! They are going hungry! I encourage them to taste things, but 5 yr olds usually won't! I think they need to have healthy food, but kids need foods they like to eat! Some of the items served look gross, and I don't blame them for not eating them! Just my opinion!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

If the kids are eating the food, she is obviously doing something right!  I do agree that it needs to be food the kids will eat, but it should also be healthy.  We don't just give kids chips & cookies because they'll eat that - we find yummy ways to prepare healthy food.

They should be praising this lady & getting tips from her so all the other schools there can do the same thing.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:04 PM

That's ridiculous!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)