Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (101-103):
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I am sorry you are going through this.  When I was on bedrest with my baby last year, my son did the same thing to my DH :/.  I think its about attention moreso than anything else.  She's worried about you and doesn't want to leave you home all day.

The best you can do is talk to her about it.  Ask her why she feels she has to act like this in the morning.  Tell her it makes you and DH upset and it hurts your feeling when she's late, and she should feel the same way.  Let her know taht you are indeed OK!  You aren't in bed because you are sick (or the baby is sick) but because you have to protect them so they don't get sick/hurt.  Allow her to play games with you in the bed, read to her in the bed.  Thats' waht we did....I allowed Caden to come up on my bed all the time and read stories, color, talk....you name it.  It was like a treat to him :).  Once we started doign that he was much better about his behavior!

Hang in there mama.....its so hard when you cant' do a darn thing....and its not even just the kids.  Its makign dinner, cleaning the house, paying the bills........the things you used to do you can't do anymore and it eats you up because you want to to be responsible!  Do what you can online (I ordered my groceries online and either had them delivered or picked up by DH).  Anything ot make his load easier.

:)

babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Hi, Mama.

It's just me checking in with you to find out how you are doing.

I wanted to share with you that I understand completely about having a child who does not understand what you are going through and cannot see the urgency of getting anywhere like we Moms do.

I hope this little story will cheer you up:

I used to have a cockatiel that I let fly loose in the apartment where we used to live. When I had to take my daughter (when she was real little) to any appointment I liked to have Woodstockie in the cage before I left so that when I opened the door when I returned he would not fly out.

I got soooooooooo frustrated because everytime I got close to him he would fly away-up to the highest part of the room where I could not reach him. Sometimes I had to leave him ........Luckily he would be away from the door when I came home....

That was my "little boy" .....

Anyway......Here's hoping you have success with whatever you try....I know in time you will....

((Hugs)) to you, Mama

I will be thinking of you!!!!!!

Blessings,

Veronica

Thanks, Veronica, she was better this morning. I got up and helped her with breakfast and went to bed afterwards. I made her the cinnamon toast she wanted. Helped her pick an outfit and got her out the door. They made it before 0800 when they unlocked the doors so she got to lay with her friends this morning. Hopefully tomorrow will be a repeat. No laughing and hiding.

Thanksagain!

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I am delighted!!!!!  

Veronica  happy

Quoting babynurse244:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Hi, Mama.

It's just me checking in with you to find out how you are doing.

I wanted to share with you that I understand completely about having a child who does not understand what you are going through and cannot see the urgency of getting anywhere like we Moms do.

I hope this little story will cheer you up:

I used to have a cockatiel that I let fly loose in the apartment where we used to live. When I had to take my daughter (when she was real little) to any appointment I liked to have Woodstockie in the cage before I left so that when I opened the door when I returned he would not fly out.

I got soooooooooo frustrated because everytime I got close to him he would fly away-up to the highest part of the room where I could not reach him. Sometimes I had to leave him ........Luckily he would be away from the door when I came home....

That was my "little boy" .....

Anyway......Here's hoping you have success with whatever you try....I know in time you will....

((Hugs)) to you, Mama

I will be thinking of you!!!!!!

Blessings,

Veronica

Thanks, Veronica, she was better this morning. I got up and helped her with breakfast and went to bed afterwards. I made her the cinnamon toast she wanted. Helped her pick an outfit and got her out the door. They made it before 0800 when they unlocked the doors so she got to lay with her friends this morning. Hopefully tomorrow will be a repeat. No laughing and hiding.

Thanksagain!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)