Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
AmberRose1122
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM
My 8 year old does the same thing. I started bribing him with candy and small toys. If he's up and ready in the morning, he gets a Hershey's kiss. If he does well every day of the week, he can choose a toy from the Dollar Store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
We had so many issues. Here is what I did. 1) woke him up 20 minutes earlier. 2) set the out the door time 15 minutes earlier. I drove and that way I was doing the rush out the door and I would get in the car and realize we would make it on time. I still do this! So on late mornings we are still early. :) 3) I set an alarm which gave a 10 minute warning and then I also said "the car leaves at this time, miss it and find your own way to school". Calmly, and I leave for the car at the scheduled time (I did this for a week, now they know when I leave we leave). ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeachMommy07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

Make her go to school in whatever she is dressed in at the time. She needs to know who is in control.

BeachMommy07
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I feel bad for you. I really do. She sounds out of control :(

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I think your issue is with your DH more than anyone else.  He needs to get his act together & realize that the world does run on a schedule & he needs to respect that even if he doesn't want to.

I wonder if a meeting with school officials (either the teacher or principal) explaining the effect dd being late has on the class would help.  Or maybe he needs to find out the penalty for tardies.  Does something happen after a certain # of tardies?

I know at my son's school, if you are tardy a couple times, they will call the parents to find out why & see if there is anything the school can do to help get the students there on time.

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Your husband needs to realize that if she is tardy to often, you as her parents can get into legal trouble.

Quoting babynurse244:

I also meant to add we do as much as possible the night before. Her snack is packed. Whatever she needs for the following day is in her backpack by the door. We pick out her clothes the night before. It's just she goofs off. She decides she doesn't want to wear what she chose, runs off, etc. She has an alarm clock and gets up. It's like she thinks this is a game and I hate being late, it completely ticks me off. It doesn't seem to phase my husband, and I'm wondering if that's part of the issue. He's always asking if we're defining "late" by school standards or his, which ticks me off. If you have to get a tardy slip, she's late and his standards need to be the same as the schools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

My stepdaughter (now an adult) went through the same school district. We got a few letters on her regarding the policy, so DuH knows it. Parent teacher conferences are the first and second week of November, so I've already given the teacher a head's up, waiting to hear back from her, and I hope she brings it up then.

Quoting GwenMB:

I think your issue is with your DH more than anyone else.  He needs to get his act together & realize that the world does run on a schedule & he needs to respect that even if he doesn't want to.

I wonder if a meeting with school officials (either the teacher or principal) explaining the effect dd being late has on the class would help.  Or maybe he needs to find out the penalty for tardies.  Does something happen after a certain # of tardies?

I know at my son's school, if you are tardy a couple times, they will call the parents to find out why & see if there is anything the school can do to help get the students there on time.

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Every morning that she acts like that, when she gets home shes on punishment, no tv, no sweets, her favorite toys are gone, she can do extra chores. She needs to know that its not a joke and that behavior isn't acceptable.

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Isn't that kind of encouraging the behavior...

Quoting AmberRose1122:

My 8 year old does the same thing. I started bribing him with candy and small toys. If he's up and ready in the morning, he gets a Hershey's kiss. If he does well every day of the week, he can choose a toy from the Dollar Store.

babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

We've been taking away the TV, deserts and sweet snacks other than fruit, and taken away toys. It's like she's not making the connection. She's only 5, so I don't know what extra chores I can give her, really. The kids are already responsible for picking up their toys and putting clothes in the hamper, she loves to help with the laundry (haven't figured that one out yet, but she loves to sort and load and pour the soap in). They help put their clothes away.

We tried telling them we'd go to the movies to see Hotel Transylvania this weekend if it was a good week and everyone got where they needed to go on time and their jobs were done and they behaved. It's like she can't grasp the consequences to her actions part of the whole thing.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Every morning that she acts like that, when she gets home shes on punishment, no tv, no sweets, her favorite toys are gone, she can do extra chores. She needs to know that its not a joke and that behavior isn't acceptable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)