Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (61-70):
babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Teacher is going to speak with him (I'll be there as well) at the parent -teacher conference coming up. His whole family is like that and it drives me up the wall.

Quoting kat1116:

I don't know if someone else posted this but here tardiness is a truancy issue. So with your husband late is defined by the school not him. So many tardies add up to absences and then they call in the truant officer. I don't know if you want to go that far as to scare her with the threat of that but it might work with your husband.

mamabubblog
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I would recommend doing as much as you can the night before. Pack a lunch, set out her clothes, set the table for breakfast, etc. Then, try a sticker chart for her cooperation. For every time she's helpful and listening, she can earn a sticker toward a prize, or special outing that would be meaningful to her.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Set up a firm schedule for whole family even it means scheduling everyones potty time.  Have her sit by you until she is ready to be a big girl.  We get dd up at 7:30am to get her on the bus 8:55am.  It takes her that long to wake up and be ready for day.  We set timers for when certain things need to be done.

gma12.1
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Since she loves school and you've tried everything else and she has decided that the whole getting ready and leaving is a game and you are supposed to take it easy because of your pregnancy take a tough love stance. If she isn't ready to go when it is time to leave just tell her she is staying home because she isn't ready to go. If she really really likes to be at school she may cry and carry on but this might be the way to really get thru to her. With kids sometimes actions speak louder than words.   My played around and since she takes a special ed bus and wasn't ready when the bus showed up I just told the bus driver that she wasn't going to school that day and why, then I called and talked to her teacher and told her the same thing. She cried but she never played around again when I would tell her she was running out of time and would have to stay home.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM
I've done that to dd before. I will also dress her before she wakes up just to make it faster. Now she is great at getting ready cause she wants to pick out her clothes

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Make her sleep in her clothes

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Where we live, 3 tardies is an absence...that's a big deal. If she's not ready on time, she goes as she is. Also make sure she's getting plenty of one one one...she's doing it for attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottubgodess
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree a chart with pictures to help her "check off" each thing she should do. I have a son with a high functioning form of autism. He has delayed procesding, so every morning was a drama fest the chart with pics worked like a dream. Btw, dont chade her - it is a game. Dont get upset - she is getting reinforcement by you playing "the game"

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Maybe some kind of incentive program?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

My kids both went to afternoon kindergarten so it wasn't really an issue. But even on the weekends we are usually up and dressed by 7:30

KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM
MY KIDS ARE 7 ,11 ( TWINS 7 AND DD 11) I TURN ON THAR LIGHT S AT 6:15 .THAR UP BUY 6:30..AND ALL HAVE TO BE READY BY 7;00 BUS COMES AT 7:15 .SOME TIME MY SON (7) WILL TRY TO DRAG HIS ASS BUT I JUMP ON HIM.THY KNOW THY BETTER DO WHAT THY HAVE TO ABE GET UP OR ELSE MAM WILL LOOS IT..I DON'T DO GOOD IN THE AM.
hollinicole
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I get DD dressed while she is still in bed, she half a wake lol. but she also eats at school because she can't eat when she wakes up or she feels sick, I send something for her. But things like getting her hair done I will say okay go with crazy hair and act like am going out the door and she will cry for me to do it. I also found setting and alarm when its time to leave the house helps a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)