Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (71-80):
RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Have you considered that she may not be ready for Kindergarten? I would sit her little but on the chair and let her know that she has one week to get her act together. If she fails to get her act together then she will not be in school. I would then proceed to home school her and make it very tough. Talk with the administrators to determine if you can sign her up for the online classes. Finally, turn the tv off in the morning and put on classical music. GL.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Take her in her pajamas.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Oh and a K teacher recommened the take them in their pj's.  I only had to threatnen it once and after that dd never bucked getting ready. I got my  keys, said come on, your are going in your pajamas then...she was dressed in 3 minutes flat because she knew I meant business.

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:43 AM
Where is the 5 year olds father? Why can't he get her ready? I know you've probably already said, but I don't have time right now to go back and read all of the other replies.

Quoting babynurse244:

Everything is done the night before, snack packed, clothes lined up, shoes at the bottom of the stairs, backpack packed and by the front door. She just goofs off. Won't go on the potty, won't get dressed, won't do anything. Requires chasing. I ended up in the hospital and on bedrest about the third week of school, so maybe that just totally threw her routine off and she's acting out. I'm also due with twins in 17 days, we've already discussed the plan with the kids for that, they're staying at the babysitter's house the night before my C/S, then dad will come and get the 5 year old from kindergarten at 1210 that day when she's out, and he'll pick the 4 year old up from preschool early, and they will come to the hospital and meet their new siblings. Maybe they're more stressed out about it than I think.

Quoting MistyMoo:

Have everything done and ready the night before, so everything can flow smoothly. DS gets up between 7 and 7:30 and he has just enough time to get his teethe brushed, dressed and have breakfast before he's wisked out the door for school. Any more time than that and he is very hard to manage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BuzyMommy35
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Is it possible she is just wanting to stay home on bed rest with mommy. Lots of changes coming her way pretty soon. Is she an only child right now? I also think a reward chart would be a great idea but I'm a big fan in letting the kids pick what the rewards are. They usually suprise me and pick some sort of one on one time with me. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maidjillian
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I have a friend who has a dd in Kinder (my son is also in Kinder and they are bffs!) and the live RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from the school.  It takes them 30 seconds, tops.  Her dd is always late because my friend has the worst time management skills.  In this case, it's not at all her dd's fault.  How sad is that?  She says it's because she works late (she's a server) and is too tired in the morning to move fast.  Whatever.

Anyway... I like the idea of having your dd sleep in her clothes that would save a lot of time in the morning! 

Your dh has to know that you are trying to teach your dd healthy life skills, which includes being on time?  Does he want her to get fired from future jobs for always being late?  He may scoff at that because she's only 5, but this stuff is learned from a very early age. 

When my sister was in school she dragged ass every morning too.  My mom set a timer and when it went off it was time to go no matter if she was dressed or not!  My sister did not like going to school in jammies (and this happened at least a couple of times!).  She also did not like not eating breakfast, or not being able to brush her teeth.  My mom also-the night before- picked two outfits, including underwear and socks, and my sister got to choose what to wear.  The alarm really helped my sister get a feel for timing.  Kids don't naturally understand the concept of time, it has to be learned.

Good luck!  And conratulations on your twins! 

hargonagain
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:10 AM
I think I would give her a choice of what to wear and she is stuck with that choice. Talk to the teacher and principal about sending her to school once or twice in pjs so she will learn to cooperate. I like the idea of making her afteroon based on her morning behavior too. Gl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM
She is totally playing you..hiding and giggling? Oh, hell no. She would have severe consequences for pulling that crap.

You get up, do what you need to do and IF you get done you can play games together a few minutes before she leaves.

Because she is young, and all the changes, I would do a visual checklist (with pictures) for the morning and if she gets a certain amount of stickers each day she gets a prize. My DS2 has ADD and that totally saved our mornings when he was public schooled. We also added a trip to the park in Friday afternoon if he got his reward 3 of 5 days

You also need to geth DH on board. He is totally undermining you and that's not acceptable. If its this bad now, how will you have help when babyy comes? Knock him upside his head!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doodles181
by Jennifer on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Instead of punishing her for the bad behavior begin a reward chart that allows her to earn special things (small but not the ordinary you give her) for doing what you want her to do.  For example start by rewarding her for each activity she does properly...ie...get dressed..get a reward...eat breakfast...get a reward...once she is responding to this you can then give her a reward once a day if she does 4 out of 5 tasks...then you can make it a weekly reward when she does her routine for 4 out of 5 days a week and so on....usually rewards work better than punishments....this has worked with many things over the years with my 8 year old son!!

Jennifer

kenleespice
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

your the parent you make her go if you have to dreag her to school kisking and screaming,you do know that kids are only allowed to be tarty so many times before they take you to court and you can go to jail,I know because it almost happened to me with dd ,my oldest was in 7 grade and I made sure she got to school on time but what I dint know was that she was having issues opening her locker so by the time she did that and went to class she was tardy,she also has autism,anyways she never told me till I get  aletter saying I will have to go to court if it happens again,after finding out the issue from dd I went up there ans sure enough there was something wrong with her locker,it needed oiled or something like that anyways she has never been tardyed since plus I make her go to the office first so she is counted

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)