Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (81-90):
babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I know what you're saying. I had a doc appt this morning so I was up and trying to help with the kids. I made DD what she wanted for breakfast, then couldn't find her. Hiding in the closet giggling. Not funny. She got upset because I grabbed her and dragged her back to her dad, he was trying to get her hair fixed when she ran off. Definitely not funny. My DH has horrible time management skills and it just flows over everywhere. He has flexible work hours, and so do I, but I usually make a schedule so they know when I'll be there. He comes and goes as he pleases, but not everyone has that luxury. We made it with 2 minutes to spare on the way to my doc appt this morning, so DD had 2 minutes of playtime. I told her she could play longer if she'd get moving and stop playing at home in the morning. Her teacher told me this morning she is going to have a talk with her and she'll bring it up at our fall conference in November and address it with DH. Two minutes before the final bell and the doors are locked is cutting it way too close. I was almost late for my doc appt.

kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

You need to find a currency she understands. My kids know that if they give me problems in the am, there is NOTHING fun that afternoon. Nothing. Don't let her think it is a game.

sunflowers12
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

well, she must think of it as fun or a game so i would say some type of discipline would be necessary like t.v. shows taking away or something like that.. she is young, but it sounds like she is getting ready to be the oldest so she will have to grow up a little faster now... my youngest is sorta like this, but i have the time and am able to help him get ready and he is a lot older the your dd is.. so i understand..

Macksmom2006
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM
As a mom of tins and older child I know what your going through. First off my dd was late almost everyday of kindy last year. Some of this might be the transition of mom being on bed rest and two babies coming. Let her be late it's only kindergarten. Don't fight and argue. Try putting up a picture chart... Get dressed, brush hair and teeth shoes then to school. We found Kenzie ha motivation to get to school when she had breakfast there. Maybe that's an option.
CrazyBeautiful.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM

What happens when she is late? What kind of trouble does she get into? Maybe talk with the teacher and see what she recommends. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I am sorry, but this is HORRIBLE advice!  You are setting that child up for failure.  First of all, kindergarten is academic.  Second, in many places you will get charged and a visit from CPS.  As a parent,  you MUST have higher expectations than this if you want a successful child.  Having said all of this, some kids are NOT ready to go to kindergarten and need to wait a year and do a year of preschool.  This may be the case for the OP's child.

Quoting Macksmom2006:

As a mom of tins and older child I know what your going through. First off my dd was late almost everyday of kindy last year. Some of this might be the transition of mom being on bed rest and two babies coming. Let her be late it's only kindergarten. Don't fight and argue. Try putting up a picture chart... Get dressed, brush hair and teeth shoes then to school. We found Kenzie ha motivation to get to school when she had breakfast there. Maybe that's an option.

Macksmom2006
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Quoting mjande4:

Here they don't legally have to be I school til 1st grade. Even thigh kindergarten is public. Our school wa understanding that we had a young 5 yr old and she is now in 1st grade and getting straight a's reads at a second grade level and is thriving. Nothing the school did or could have done and nothing CPS can do either here.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It may have worked out for you, but I stand by my assertion that allowing a child to be habitually late to school is NOT acceptable!

Quoting Macksmom2006:

Quoting mjande4:

Here they don't legally have to be I school til 1st grade. Even thigh kindergarten is public. Our school wa understanding that we had a young 5 yr old and she is now in 1st grade and getting straight a's reads at a second grade level and is thriving. Nothing the school did or could have done and nothing CPS can do either here.

babynurse244
by Beth on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We're working with her teacher. She seems to think it's a lot of things and she's doing well in the class otherwise. I beleive habits start early, and I don't want her to think this is acceptable. She got mad at DH last night because she had no playtime yesterday, and we both reminded her that she goofed off and delayed us getting out the door, so she was to blame for her not having any playtime before school. That might be the route we have to emphasize, that playing around at home cuts into her playtime before school. The teacher isn't too concerned as she's only been "officially" late twice since school started, but I really don't want the pattern of running out the door at the last minute to continue. It's busy around the school and there is a lot of traffic, we had trouble parking, and I think it's just conducive for her to be late because you never know what is going to happen. DH needs to get her out the door no later than 0745.

MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

strangely I have found a topic that me and you do agree on.

Macksmom I hear what you are saying and I am glad things have worked out for you in your situation however, I feel that the habits and routines we set early in life follow our children into adulthood. I feel even if it were preschool being on time is giving the message that you know the other persons time is valuable and you are showing respect. And another point I want to make is that if you give in on something like this you are not only setting your child up for failure but you are setting up yourself for failure because once you give in on something like this then your child may continually test boundaries set for them and it doesnt get easier. Lastly, its not fair to the other students (coming in class late is disruptive) or to your child either because I find that on the rare occasion that I have brought my child to school late the other kids have already gotten into their school day routine and its hard for my dd to find a place where she fits in. So for many reasons having your child to school on time is benefitting your child, their classmates, and you.

Quoting mjande4:

It may have worked out for you, but I stand by my assertion that allowing a child to be habitually late to school is NOT acceptable!

Quoting Macksmom2006:

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)