Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (91-100):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell hath frozen over.  Lol

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

strangely I have found a topic that me and you do agree on.

Macksmom I hear what you are saying and I am glad things have worked out for you in your situation however, I feel that the habits and routines we set early in life follow our children into adulthood. I feel even if it were preschool being on time is giving the message that you know the other persons time is valuable and you are showing respect. And another point I want to make is that if you give in on something like this you are not only setting your child up for failure but you are setting up yourself for failure because once you give in on something like this then your child may continually test boundaries set for them and it doesnt get easier. Lastly, its not fair to the other students (coming in class late is disruptive) or to your child either because I find that on the rare occasion that I have brought my child to school late the other kids have already gotten into their school day routine and its hard for my dd to find a place where she fits in. So for many reasons having your child to school on time is benefitting your child, their classmates, and you.

Quoting mjande4:

It may have worked out for you, but I stand by my assertion that allowing a child to be habitually late to school is NOT acceptable!

Quoting Macksmom2006:

Quoting mjande4:

Here they don't legally have to be I school til 1st grade. Even thigh kindergarten is public. Our school wa understanding that we had a young 5 yr old and she is now in 1st grade and getting straight a's reads at a second grade level and is thriving. Nothing the school did or could have done and nothing CPS can do either here.

XOXOnBubbles
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Quoting babynurse244:

I also meant to add we do as much as possible the night before. Her snack is packed. Whatever she needs for the following day is in her backpack by the door. We pick out her clothes the night before. It's just she goofs off. She decides she doesn't want to wear what she chose, runs off, etc. She has an alarm clock and gets up. It's like she thinks this is a game and I hate being late, it completely ticks me off. It doesn't seem to phase my husband, and I'm wondering if that's part of the issue. He's always asking if we're defining "late" by school standards or his, which ticks me off. If you have to get a tardy slip, she's late and his standards need to be the same as the schools.

You are doing everything that I would suggest... the only thing you are really missing is getting your husband on board!  Esp. if you are pregnant and need help!!!  Maybe if you had a note from the teacher saying she expects children to be at school, coat and backpack hung up, and seated at their desk before the bell rings at ___ time it would help get him on board? 

I know you have tried taking things away, but have you tried a reward system?  Maybe a special sticker chart.  Every day she gets ready on time without making a fuss she gets a sticker.  When she gets so many stickers she gets a special reward. 

I make my son go to bed a half hour earlier if he has trouble getting ready for school in the morning.  This works well for him because he HATES going to bed earlier than his little brother.  LOL 

bleumonster
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM
My son did this once when he was I'm daycare. I took him in his pjs. I had his clothes in a bag but he never did it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM
In CA they don't legally have to go to kinder UNLESS you enroll them. Once enrolled tardy and truancy laws apply. It definitely sets a bad precident to allow her to be late consistantly.

Quoting Macksmom2006:

Quoting mjande4:

Here they don't legally have to be I school til 1st grade. Even thigh kindergarten is public. Our school wa understanding that we had a young 5 yr old and she is now in 1st grade and getting straight a's reads at a second grade level and is thriving. Nothing the school did or could have done and nothing CPS can do either here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

These have probably been mentioned before but I will just tell you the things I do to get out of the house on time: I have her lunch made the night before and I plan our outfits for the whole week on Sunday night so in the morning I just lay her outfit for the day on her bed for her to get dressed so in the morning the only thing I need to do is make breakfast which I allow her to eat in front of the TV (believe me I know this isnt the best habit but this is what we do in the morning) so while she is watching tv eating breakfast I can get ready. The way I get her to get dressed is I make it a competition I tell her I bet I can get dressed faster than you and I run into my room and she runs into hers and then we run out when we are dressed we do this so much that now i dont even say the words anymore I give her a little devious look and then I run to my room and close the door i always hear her door close seconds after Lol. This is what works for us I hope it helps

laird6372
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

My husband and I just took a Love and Logic course, and our instructor went over basically this same situation. What she said was to let the child get up when the alarm goes off. Tell her you are leaving at X time, and until then she is free to eat breakfast, get dressed, or whatever else. (She said make a point to say what YOU are doing and that the child can FEEL FREE to do the stuff she needs to do, rather than telling her she HAS to do it, because it makes her feel more in control). Then, at the specified time, take her to school. If she hasn't eaten or didn't get dressed, oh well. She won't starve missing one meal, and the ridicule she gets at school for being in her pjs will be punishment enough. She also said that BEFORE you implement this, to contact the teacher and let her know what is going on, so if your child says "My parents wouldn't let me eat or get dressed today!" the teacher will know what really happened.

marinesfeeding babyteen girltoddler boytoddler girl
Proud momma of 4 kids, three of my own and one who didn't grow in my belly but has taken over my heart!

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM

TV stays off until she is dressed, and eate, and her bag is packed for the day. 

if time allows then the TV can go on. 

if she screws up then no tv, computer whatever it is that floats her boat after school.

I have to say I have never had long term issues with my kids. I have a 13 yr old who has an ocassional "failure to motivate" morning and if he's late for school that is exactly what his note reads when he gets there.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Send her in whatever she is wearing and she can pee at school.

CrazedMomof2
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

When its time to leave you leave. Whatever is not done is not done. Going to school once in her jammies should cure that problem.

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Hi, Mama.

It's just me checking in with you to find out how you are doing.

I wanted to share with you that I understand completely about having a child who does not understand what you are going through and cannot see the urgency of getting anywhere like we Moms do.

I hope this little story will cheer you up:

I used to have a cockatiel that I let fly loose in the apartment where we used to live. When I had to take my daughter (when she was real little) to any appointment I liked to have Woodstockie in the cage before I left so that when I opened the door when I returned he would not fly out.

I got soooooooooo frustrated because everytime I got close to him he would fly away-up to the highest part of the room where I could not reach him. Sometimes I had to leave him ........Luckily he would be away from the door when I came home....

That was my "little boy" .....

Anyway......Here's hoping you have success with whatever you try....I know in time you will....

((Hugs)) to you, Mama

I will be thinking of you!!!!!!

Blessings,

Veronica

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)