Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Not sure how to react.

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:18 AM
  • 28 Replies

My kids walk to and home from school.  They usually walk in a group with 2 other kids that we know. Well today my 7 year old son comes home alone and starts crying, telling me he could not find his sister. I asked him if he walked alone and he said no, that he walked with a boy from school and his mom. Even though I dont know these people, they walked him all the way to the house instead of making him walk the last block by himself. I am glad that he was responsible enough to find an adult to walk with.

I took my son and went to find his 9 year old sister. When I asked her where she was,  she said she stayed to help her teacher put things away after class. I told her that she needed to let me and her brother know what she is doing before she does it so we dont worry.

I dont know if I should punish her being as this is the first time she has done it.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsLogansMommy
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt punish her it may give her the message that she is in trouble for helping the teacher and Im sure that isnt a message you want to give and also you said this is the first time this has happened I think just let her know like you did that she needs to let you and her brother know and if this does happen again then punishment would be in order but I wouldnt feel comfortable punishing my dd for this in my opinion

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I would first talk with the teacher, telling her that your daughter did not call home to tell you. 

Nine is very, very young I feel to be doing this and not telling you.

At this point it will be up to you whether or not she may do this again.

It is also up to you if you should discipline her.

I would at least suggest you talking to her about what you went through, wondering where she was and how her 7 year old brother thankfully found his way home.  Perhaps she is not aware of what goes through a Mother's mind when she doesn't know where her child is.

How are you feeling about this?  In your heart of hearts can you trust her again?

Veronica

babybugsmomma
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I dont think I need to talk to the teacher because she didnt ask the kids to stay and help. (another little girl stayed to help too)

She knew that she was in the wrong when she saw the car pull up at the curb next to her. I said climb in the car and she started to cry. I explained that I needed her to help brother get home. I did tell dd that she needed to show that she is responsible if she wanted to keep walking home from school. I get home from work the same time they do, so I cant meet them up at the school.

But I cant say whether she will do it again. 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I would first talk with the teacher, telling her that your daughter did not call home to tell you. 

I would at least suggest you talking to her about what you went through, wondering where she was and how her 7 year old brother thankfully found his way home.  Perhaps she is not aware of what goes through a Mother's mind when she doesn't know where her child is.

How are you feeling about this?  In your heart of hearts can you trust her again?

Veronica

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:45 AM

I would definitely talk to her and just let the teacher know that if she asks to help again afterschool to politely decline so that your dd can walk brother home.  

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:11 AM

The fact that she KNOWS that you were upset is enough. Just reiterate to both of the children why communication is so important. 

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM

My suggestion to talk to the teacher was to verify that your child did stay and help.  I would want to know for myself what happened from the teacher's lips.....

However, I see not calling is the way you chose to handle this.

This is what came to my mind last night also and just something to think about:

Your son was very fortunate that someone just happened to come along and find adults that were willing to do the right thing and help him.

You never know who is out there, who out of the blue might hurt your children.

Take care,

Veronica

Quoting babybugsmomma:

I dont think I need to talk to the teacher because she didnt ask the kids to stay and help. (another little girl stayed to help too)

She knew that she was in the wrong when she saw the car pull up at the curb next to her. I said climb in the car and she started to cry. I explained that I needed her to help brother get home. I did tell dd that she needed to show that she is responsible if she wanted to keep walking home from school. I get home from work the same time they do, so I cant meet them up at the school.

But I cant say whether she will do it again. 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Veronica

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly, I think a 9 yo is barely able to be responsible for themselves, let alone being responsible for getting their younger sibling home. You need to ask a neighbor or family member to supervise their getting home. 9yo is also too young for her to be walking home alone late. Think kidnapper much?

The school tried to tell me to have my 8yo DS be responsible for his 6yo brother getting home because his TEACHER lost him going to the bus...WHAT??? No way in hell...

Anyway, I would NOT have any punishment for this. She used poor judgement, she's 9! If she wants to stay late she needs to call for permission or have it prearranged so you can make arrangements for both of them to get home safely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM
I wouldn't punish but let her know that next time she wants to help the teacher to get her brother and have him help too and ask the teacher to call you so you know where they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM
More power to ya, mama... I could never let my kids walk at those ages!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I would kindly thank your neighbor! :D first and foremost. and join forces, ask, since she comes anyway, if she would mind your son walking home with them? that way he knows the second person in case his sister is not following through so he knows it's okay to come home with them?

I think you handled it well, I too would probably call the teacher and ask if she was asked to stay and help or not. that way you know what exactly happened. I wouldn't punish her as she was trying to help. that is not a bad thing!  I agree that if she wants to stay and help that would be okay IF she called you and let you know. again, this is why talking to the mom who came home the other day asking if she can be a second point person would be okay. I know that my SIL does that for another 3 families on certain days! ;)

I am not overly concerned with kidnapping, I think it's overrated although it does happen. ;) so I wouldn't worry about that part. but, your son should NOT have to feel so upset because he doesn't have the person who walks with him with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN