Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do You Think ADHD Is Over-Diagnosed?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
  • 19 Replies

Drugging Your 'ADHD' Kid Is Lazy Parenting

Posted by Ericka Sóuter

AdderallI have always been astonished by the number of kids diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder -- especially boys. Nearly 10 percent of children 4 to 14 reportedly have ADHD. That's 5.4 million kids!

As some moms tell it, Adderall -- a drug that boosts focus and helps impulse control -- is the best thing that ever happened to their kid (and them by default!). One mommy friend, who gladly gives it to her grade-schooler, used to complain about how he didn't like to sit still, wouldn't focus on any one thing for more than a half-hour, and how impulsive he was. I felt for her -- I really did. But a part of me always wondered if all those complaints were just a part of being a rambunctious kid. Well, that actually may be the case. Some experts are questioning whether ADHD is even real.

One doctor goes as far as to say the entire disorder is "made up" and an "excuse." The reason? He claims most children are given Adderall to actually treat poor academic performance in school, which is conveniently blamed on ADHD. Instead of medicating kids, he suggests addressing the real issue -- a bad academic environment or one that just doesn't jive with the way they learn.

In a way, Adderall has become a popular cure-all for struggling students. It's not surprising to hear teens and even college students still take it. "My kids don’t want to take it, but I told them, 'These are your grades when you’re taking it, this is when you don't,' and they understood," one mom said.

It wasn't until I became a parent that I realized that not every child learns the same way. Some can thrive in a noisy, hectic environment. Others need more order and solitude. Some blossom in an artistic curriculum; others crave math and science. Education isn't a one size fits all kind of thing. So a child who is not doing well in school, who lacks focus, who can't seem to sit still, may not always have ADHD. She might be frustrated by the teaching method, unchallenged, or not getting the type of interaction she may need. Unfortunately, that solution costs money and time most parents, schools, and communities can't or are not willing to spend.

Now, just to be clear, I don't really buy that ADHD does not exist at all. It's a very real affliction for a lot of kids and adults too, I'm sure. I think some children exhibit behavior so unmanageable, so out-of-control, there is clearly something emotionally amiss. However, I think far too many parents are too quick to pop a pill in their child's mouth. We owe it to them to try to find another way first.

Do you think ADHD is over-diagnosed?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM

This article should add another dimension to the discussion.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49345143/ns/health-childrens_health/

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I'm totally with Dr. Anderson from the MSN article...the bigger issue is that the school system isn't set up to deal with active learners.

Yes, I do believe there are some true cases of ADHD, but MOST cases are too young students, parents who don't put in the time with their kids either due to work schedules or are too lazy to deal with them, or normal kids who need an active learning situation.

My middle DS was diagnosed with ADD...its bullshit! He is scored in the gifted range on IQ tests. He had a minor processing disorder that makes it hard for him to get info from his head, onto paper so that a 1 page essay is nearly impossible yet he can sit and discuss some topics with adults that would fry your brain, using proper terms and vocabulary. He can also do detailed diagrams that used key words and descriptions.

Its not ADD or lack of effort. He will have an active job. I see him being a tradesman of some kind. He could even do engineering or general contracting. Maybe even a firefighter like his very mechnical Grandfather and Uncle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM

You hit the nail on the head.  The sad part is when you try to explain to a mother that her child is probably too young for school they won't listen because every mother believes her child is brilliant.  SMH

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I'm totally with Dr. Anderson from the MSN article...the bigger issue is that the school system isn't set up to deal with active learners.

Yes, I do believe there are some true cases of ADHD, but MOST cases are too young students, parents who don't put in the time with their kids either due to work schedules or are too lazy to deal with them, or normal kids who need an active learning situation.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I do think that is is over diagnosed and that some kids are just more kinesthetic learners. Schools are set up more for auditory-sequential learners and the visual-kinesthetic learners don't do as well. Also, gifted kids that are under challenged and or have psychomotor overexcitability are often misdiagnosed with add/ADHD.
sunflowers12
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

yea..

Lydlou02
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM
what does IQ have to do with ADD?
It looks like your trying to say that he CAN'T have that disorder because he's so bright.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

My middle DS was diagnosed with ADD...its bullshit! He is scored in the gifted range on IQ tests. He had a minor processing disorder that makes it hard for him to get info from his head, onto paper so that a 1 page essay is nearly impossible yet he can sit and discuss some topics with adults that would fry your brain, using proper terms and vocabulary. He can also do detailed diagrams that used key words and descriptions.

Its not ADD or lack of effort. He will have an active job. I see him being a tradesman of some kind. He could even do engineering or general contracting. Maybe even a firefighter like his very mechnical Grandfather and Uncle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaschmitz
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I do. BUT, I do have a son that has ADHD. It takes more than most people know to get an accurate diagnosis. It isn't just walk into the doctor and BAM! Your kid is on meds. In fact he has to go see a psychiatrist to make any changes in his meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I'm saying the schools think kids with ADD are stupid, or troublemakers because they don't focus as well. In my DS's case it is just how he learns. He can't focus on book work, where you must sit and read long lessons...not happening. However, if you present the same info in a lecture with hands on activity, he masters it after doing it one time.

Quoting Lydlou02:

It looks like your trying to say that he CAN'T have that disorder because he's so bright.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsmac521
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

While I do think it is over diagnosed, I know it is real.  My little brother is VERY ADHD, he just can not function properly with out his meds.  And my DH has it as well.  When listening to an adult talk about what is going on inside of their minds when dealing with it, it sounds so hard to deal with.  I can't imagine my brain just never slowing down so that i can space out or relax.  But I do think that they try to take just regular active little boys and say that they have ADHD.

nomadbrat83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Lol my daughter is ADHD, SPD and has a mood disorder and shocker is very gifted! She is the only kindergartner in the gifted program at her IB magnet school. Dd isn't on a stimulant because they make her mood disorder worse. However if she is off her meds there is no doubt to anyone around her she has ADHD lol.

Quoting Lydlou02:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)