Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Teacher Xmas gifts?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM
  • 59 Replies

Do you buy your children's teachers Xmas gifts? 

I have always bought nice gifts for their teachers. However, I have never rcv'd a thank you (which I understand they get tons of gifts), but it really seems like it goes un-noticed, un-appreciated. This year, I really think I might skip on the teacher gifts. I even looked up stuff they could make, but that will still cost money (buying the supplies). 

Is it tacky if my kids don't bring a Christmas gift to their teacher before Christmas/winter break?

CafeMom Tickers

Photobucket

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I buy my sons teachers gift cards to Tim Hortons and have my son handwrite a card.

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I used to buy them a tin of Danish cookies and a bottle of apple cider.

jen113000
by Jenna on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM
This is only my sons second year in school. Last year I sent a giftcard to DD and a christmas card. I did get a thank you from the teacher. I will prolly do the same this year as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bigsky105
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I like gift cards, like to a book store or coffee shop.  I've always gotten thank you cards back.  Kinda rude if they don't.  But, yes, I always feel like they'd think we were rude if we didn't give a gift.  You could have the kids make Christmas ornaments pretty cheaply.  Or a loaf of special bread.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM
I always buy the teacher a gift....Its usually a fruit basket, gift card, or get some lotions from barh& body works
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM
We always just get a thank you
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I was thinking about getting them cds for the classroom for Xmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonshining
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I have always received thank you notes from my son's teachers. Even when he was in pre-school. I usually get an ornament, or coffe mug with some tea or coffee. Not much, but they appreciate it. I see nothing wrong with not giving a gift though. You could always give a card with the child's photo in it. Something simple. Just a thought.

momof3jam
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Yeah but it's usually something really small. Little stuffed animal hugging a Christmas mug or something. I have never received anything back either. I'm sure with all the gifts they get, it just gets mixed in with the others (another reason I don't spend much). She has to give gifts to all the kids (little stuff) and that probably gets pricey - on top of her own family gifts, etc...

I don't think it's tacky at all not to give her anything, it's just an extra.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I buy Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks gift cards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)