Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergarten shots question

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

dd is 4 be 5 in nov she goes to a private preschool she started in aug today i go pick the kids up and there a note in the parent box saying she has to have the kindergarten shots by friday the 12th theres no way i can do that her dr doesnt give kids shots at all and i have to work every week day untill the 25th can they really require me to get her the kindergarten shot already and in such a short notice? her dr from before we moved said she doesnt have to get them untill shes 5 or right before she starts kindergarten it would be my choice when she gets them. she also always runs a low grade fever when she gets shots and she cant be at preschool with any kind of fever

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM

You need to call the school and ask. 

My doctor can't give the shots before the child's birthday because insurance won't cover it. 

Is the first time they've told you? Are you sure it wasn't part of the registration material?

kcook55
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

they have never said anything she has been going since Aug 20th so nearly 2 months

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

You need to call the school and ask. 

My doctor can't give the shots before the child's birthday because insurance won't cover it. 

Is the first time they've told you? Are you sure it wasn't part of the registration material?

mommasaint
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I'm guessing it was in the "fine" print of all the paperwork you filled out to register her. Kindergarten shots can be given anytime between a child's 4th-6th b-day, so the school can require it. You'll have to call and ask them for an extension. 

mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I don't know about private school, but public school my kids couldn't start until they had the basic shots (Md only lets medical and religious exemptions)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I am in Maryland to.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

I don't know about private school, but public school my kids couldn't start until they had the basic shots (Md only lets medical and religious exemptions)

mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM
I wanted to skip the chicken pox shot :( wasn't able to.

I'm in southern md

Quoting diaperstodating:

I am in Maryland to.

Quoting mommaslilmen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM
no i dont think so they qould have said something about they wouldnt let her start without a shot record i told them shes all up to date except the kindergarten shots the director said that if fine. they did tell me i would have to talk to the director i will have to call cuz i dont drop her off my mom does and the director isnt there when i pick up the kids

Quoting mommasaint:

I'm guessing it was in the "fine" print of all the paperwork you filled out to register her. Kindergarten shots can be given anytime between a child's 4th-6th b-day, so the school can require it. You'll have to call and ask them for an extension. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

My guess is that it was in the paperwork, but at the time you didn't pay attention to it because she wasn't that age yet.  Now she is and rules are rules.  There are MANY free shots available.  Check on line.  Most drug stores and a lot of retailers that have pharmacy's give them, as well as, the fire department.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Call the school and ask them and tell them your dr says he can not. It will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:53 AM
its not about the cost she has insurance that will cover them and nope i paid attention to all the paperwork. and no shes still 4 she wont be 5 till nov 19th. btw all drug stores around here charge alot for shots

Quoting mjande4:

My guess is that it was in the paperwork, but at the time you didn't pay attention to it because she wasn't that age yet.  Now she is and rules are rules.  There are MANY free shots available.  Check on line.  Most drug stores and a lot of retailers that have pharmacy's give them, as well as, the fire department.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)