Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Connection between speech delays and potty training?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi: I am Heather and my ds is 10. He has speech problems and this has caused many issues in his learning and development and also in his social interaction with other kids at school. He is very shy and just doesnt really speak very much to anyone.

Well the latest issue we are trying to work on is with the potty. We started PT very late and he was 5 before he began to understand. Currently he wets every night and still has occasional daytime issues, usually when he is busy doing something and doesnt stop to go potty.

I'd like to hear what you other moms have to say about this and have any of you had any experience with these issues. Thank You!!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Replies (11-14):
soymujer
by Mikki on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

My oldest had speech delays and was fully potty trained by 4.  My youngest also has speech issues and was fully potty trained by 3.

family in the van   Mom of four

smushy79
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Could be...my DS10 was speech delayed ( you'd never know it now, lol) and wasn't potty trained until 5 with night time diapers until he was 8. My DS6 and DS3 were very verbal early on and potty trained by 3.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermom77
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Still wetting every night :( Had daytime accidents all week, too

JanieJo
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

My son is almost 6. Same situation here exactly, can't get him to stop and go to the potty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)