Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
DS has the hardest time remembering to turn his homework in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help him remember to do this?

At first I thought it was just because his teacher this year collects homework differently than last year and he has a hard time with change. However school started at the end of August and he is still having a hard time getting his homework turned in on time.

My son is 7 and in the second grade. He has had some learning delays but has not had any official diagnoses. He gets pulled out of class to work on reading and speech/communication issues. He has gotten so much better in the last year but I cannot seem to get him to remember to turn his homework in. He does it, just 1/3 of it doesn't get turned in on time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM
He has an agenda and folder and his homework is always in there but when he gets home from school it's still in there. He just cannot seem to remember to turn it in once he gets to school. We remind him, we take stuff away if he doesn't he just cannot seem to remember to turn it in.

Quoting steelcrazy:

An agenda and a folder are a must to stay organized.  Every morning when he gets to school he should check his folder for papers that need turned in and turn them in, and like PP said he should also check them off on his agenda when they get turned in.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Or you can give him a wristbad to put on and if he sees it...it could be a reminder that he needs to turn in something.  Then he just takes it off and puts it away when he is done.

AidanTiarra
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM
That's a good idea, I will give that a try. He always gets it done but getting it turned in has been an issue this year. I bet a visual reminder will help him.

Quoting M4LG5:

So, he is doing his homework....just not turning it in?

My twins were in kindergarten last year and they did have problems remember so I got a safety pin and added beads to it (you can laminate a card and hook it on to the pin) and had them put it on their backpack where they will see it when they put their backpack away.  Anytime they had that on their backpack, they were reminded that they have something to turn in. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EslingerCrew11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM
We don't have an agenda like tge others, but she has a folder. Math goes back daily t-f (four days of the week), and spelling she gets Friday and it goes back the next Friday. Every Monday she gets a letter from the teacher for me and it has a place for her teacher to tell us if anything is.missing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I would get to the bottom of what or who he is paying attention to when he gets to school instead of turning in his work.  Presumably the rest of the students are turning their work in.  Maybe try to find one of his friends that you KNOW is on top of things and encourage your son to "mirror" that student for a while.  Make sure the student/teacher/and other parent are aware, but maybe a "buddy" system might help.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Ask the teacher if he could have a morning check list taped to the upper corner of his desk so he can see everyday what he needs to do when he gets into class.

SuDeNym
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Have you asked him if he has any ideas of something that might help him remember to turn in his work.

That way, he has some 'say' in the process, and not ANOTHER chore that he's told 'do it.'  Just make sure, by steering any suggestions, that it's something that HE does (not Mom putting a post-it note on his backpack - he can write the note and place it).  Basically, since he has to be the accountable one (it's affects his grades - not your grades), he needs to be part of the solution too.

URHonor
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Does he have any other issues remembering the classroom routine? 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I don't know...Write "turn in homework" on his hand so he sees it at school and remembers?

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 6 months old

GwenMB
by Gwen on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Quoting SuDeNym:

Have you asked him if he has any ideas of something that might help him remember to turn in his work.

That way, he has some 'say' in the process, and not ANOTHER chore that he's told 'do it.'  Just make sure, by steering any suggestions, that it's something that HE does (not Mom putting a post-it note on his backpack - he can write the note and place it).  Basically, since he has to be the accountable one (it's affects his grades - not your grades), he needs to be part of the solution too.

I like this idea, or the one from a pp of having a reminder on his desk.

October is Celiac Awareness Month - did you know that only about 1 out of every 5 or 6 people who have Celiac Disease are diagnosed?  csaceliacs.org, celiac.com National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Gwen (42) David (55) Augie (5) Alex (3)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)