Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

5 Year old Son poopes in his pants at school! HELP!!!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM
  • 36 Replies

Okay so my son is in Kindergarden and he has a problem going to the bathroom. I have no idea if he is just scared of going or what! The school called and said he has had two accidents this morning and they want me to tell them why! I HAVE NO IDEA! They don't relieze how shamed I am when they call me from school and tell me they had to clean my 5 year old! Now I have to start going to the school every morning until he goes!!! Please anyone have any ideas for me to try I am open to all!

scarecrowBeccah

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

There could be a medical reason why he is doing this.

Fairywings1223
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Has he ever had problems going?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you asked him what the problem is?  Is this his first time in a structured school environment. Is he a young five?  Those are just a few of the questions that I would be asking myself in order to get to the root of the issue.

Precious333
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Di you ask him what happened? Maybe he's too shy or scared to ask to go, or scared of the bathroom. Iknow my son has had an accident at my inlaws because he was too shy to ask. I don't know why he was shy to ask, but he was.

RLT2
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM

hmm? Did it just start?  Maybe diet? Is there a bathroom in his class? He could be afraid of everybody seeing/smelling his business. Or he could be afraid of going to the "big bathroom" in the hall by himself.

aj23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has the same problem although we've been dealing with it for going on 2 years now. I know my sons problem is that he's scared to poop and he sees nothing wrong with going in his pants. I send him extra clothes and they just send him in the bathroom and he cleans  himself up at school and puts his dirty clothes in a bag and in his backpack.

One of the big things that was recommend to me was try to get him on a schedule so that he poops at home, either in the afternoons or in the morning before school. When I could get my son to do it, it was great and I didn't stress out all day but then he regressed some and we're trying to get back to that.  His teacher has been a huge help though. If he still had the same one from last year I would have probably pulled him out of school because she was a not nice person which I think is part of what made the problem worse.

Also make sure he's not getting picked on or having hard time with something else at school. Him pooping in his pants could be a security thing and be the one thing he feels he can control. A psychiatrist could be a huge help if it's not a medical issue and he won't tell you why he's doing it.

Beccah2
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Okay he was deaf when he was first born and we did not know it till he was 16 months old. We thought he was just hard headed! But it set him back 3 years. He did not start going pee in the potty until the day he turned 5 I can't even make that up! LOL.... But his stool is hard and I think he is afraid to go. When he does go it is huge!!!!!! Then he wont go for another month or so. I set him on the potty for long periods of time and all he does is scream like I am beating him.. I have to shut the door and turn something on loud so I can't hear him say he hates me and that I am mad at him. The school is being great about the whole thing they have him on  a schedualand all but it is not helping. My grandmother said my uncle pooped in his pants till the 5th grade! I can't do this for that long I want it done NOW!. I was in tears when the school called and told me he had another accident not a half an hour ago!

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM

That can NOT be healthy. He needs to see a doctor and maybe dietary changes and/or supplements that regulate his system.  That just sounds aweful!

Quoting Beccah2:

Okay he was deaf when he was first born and we did not know it till he was 16 months old. We thought he was just hard headed! But it set him back 3 years. He did not start going pee in the potty until the day he turned 5 I can't even make that up! LOL.... But his stool is hard and I think he is afraid to go. When he does go it is huge!!!!!! Then he wont go for another month or so. I set him on the potty for long periods of time and all he does is scream like I am beating him.. I have to shut the door and turn something on loud so I can't hear him say he hates me and that I am mad at him. The school is being great about the whole thing they have him on  a schedualand all but it is not helping. My grandmother said my uncle pooped in his pants till the 5th grade! I can't do this for that long I want it done NOW!. I was in tears when the school called and told me he had another accident not a half an hour ago!

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I know from having been a teacher how important that is for a teacher to be understanding.

It used to break my heart when a student of mine would have an accident.  I always talked very softly and descreetly about it with the child involved and would call home to get Mom to come bring some clothes.

I also made sure the kids didn't say anything.  We all went back to work.

There are some great suggestions here already from the Moms.

An addition, I would descreetly have a set or two of clothes provided by you to the teacher.

I am so glad the teacher is a great help.   She is aware there is a problem and is doing her part to help your child.

My daughter would use the American Sign Language sign for bathroom.  It is a a fist that is moved from right to left.

Perhaps your son and the teacher could work out his very own signal where she would know ahead of time he needs to go.

((Hugs)) to your son and you.

Veronica

Quoting aj23:

My son has the same problem although we've been dealing with it for going on 2 years now. I know my sons problem is that he's scared to poop and he sees nothing wrong with going in his pants. I send him extra clothes and they just send him in the bathroom and he cleans  himself up at school and puts his dirty clothes in a bag and in his backpack.

One of the big things that was recommend to me was try to get him on a schedule so that he poops at home, either in the afternoons or in the morning before school. When I could get my son to do it, it was great and I didn't stress out all day but then he regressed some and we're trying to get back to that.  His teacher has been a huge help though. If he still had the same one from last year I would have probably pulled him out of school because she was a not nice person which I think is part of what made the problem worse.

Also make sure he's not getting picked on or having hard time with something else at school. Him pooping in his pants could be a security thing and be the one thing he feels he can control. A psychiatrist could be a huge help if it's not a medical issue and he won't tell you why he's doing it.

angelgrl5200
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM
my dd had this issue last year as well! she was scared of the bathrooms! eventually she ended up over coming her fear thank goodness! i just made sure she had like 5 outfits at school at all times. her teacher wanted me to use a pull up so she wasnt going through so much clothes but i refused...i felt if i did that she would think its okay because she had a pull up on the catch her accidents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)