Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your 5 yr old wipe themselves when they go #2?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
  • 54 Replies
Dd5 still call me to wipe her when she goes #2 and I don't know how to teach her how to wipe. I've tried to show her and explain it to her but she says her arms aren't long enough, lol! When she does try she never gets herself clean. Does anyone else have this problem?? Ill be so glad when I can get through my dinner without hearing "mom I'm done come wipe me."
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tracys2
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they all could. It probably helped a LOT that they were potty-trained older (when they were really well coordinated) and got used to wiping as part of the deal instead of being used to parents helping with it. And we used flushable wet wipes at home, which seemed to really help them do a much better job.

And yes, it's so wonderful! And it's been less than a year for me with my youngest, so I remember those days very well.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Mine did not long after being potty trained.  I made them learn because preK teachers and at 5 K teachers will not do it.  They learned quick and to do a good job.  I taught them wipe until the tissue is clean.  showed them how to measure etc. It takes some trial and error but she will get it.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM
My 2 year old can wipe her own butt. I usually help to ensure she really is clean. My oldest was about 4 (late 3, early 4) when she could wipe properly without messes getting on her panties. No real advice. She just stopped asking for help. My 2 year old already tries to tell me no when I go to help her.....but she does not do it well enough to go unassisted.....however, for being 2 she is pretty good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yes. You just need to stand outside the bathroom and encourage her to do it.

My SIL always did it for my nephew and she was still wiping him at 9, almost 10! (and he's now 23 and can barely do anything aside from that for himself because mommy will.)

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I've never wiped my 5 year old.  He started wiping himself young.

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Yes

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

All 3 kids could wipe themselves at 5. I would still help a little, though, if it was messier than usual.

maass1981
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

He does, but sometimes not good enough.  My oldest had an easier time learning this.

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. We taught it as part of potty training. Once they were trained no more mommy help.

If they didn't get it all they learned to wipe better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Wow!  SMH!

Quoting balagan_imma:

Yes. You just need to stand outside the bathroom and encourage her to do it.

My SIL always did it for my nephew and she was still wiping him at 9, almost 10! (and he's now 23 and can barely do anything aside from that for himself because mommy will.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN