Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your 5 yr old wipe themselves when they go #2?

Dd5 still call me to wipe her when she goes #2 and I don't know how to teach her how to wipe. I've tried to show her and explain it to her but she says her arms aren't long enough, lol! When she does try she never gets herself clean. Does anyone else have this problem?? Ill be so glad when I can get through my dinner without hearing "mom I'm done come wipe me."
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
jen7232
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Yes.

Mireya926
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Don't feel so bad,

Am having that same issue. but we are working on him cleaning himself at school. He was beginning to have a rash caused by him not wiping properly. So we began practicing at home. Yes we discovered he can't reach. So far have no heard anymore complaining from teachers.

When he gets home I think he holds it until then cause just when am cooking dinner I hear "Mommy come help me please". I started handing him a wipe we practice he tries. It took allot of practice to go potty training this might also work.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM
DS did at home. DD's 8, and she just doesnt wipe. I've started to make her clean her undies, hoping it will help. I've tried reward, punishment, and nothing works.
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Yes by 3-4 at the latest. I am working with my youngest now. I stand next to him and hand him a piece of tp then have him wipe, hand another, has she tried to reach from behind or through? Surely one way she can reach!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cindylou15
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM
I had quite a few of my daycare kiddos that would holler for me to wipe them...I was confused by it...
None of my 3 kiddos I ever had to wipe after they were potty trained...I'm not sure, or I guess remember how I taught them...it was just part of the training...
RLT2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:46 AM

My 5 yrold still has me wipe-sigh, we've tried to teach her but, let's just say there was an incident with a ponytail, and I've put it on hold temporarily. She will NOT go #2 at school, so we only have to worry about it here.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:18 AM
My kids learned to wipe at a young age. However, I sympathize with your LO because I have short arms and have a hard time reaching behind me as well. I had to learn to wipe from the front, but stop before wiping poop into my "lady parts". (LOL that's what DH calls it.) Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Yes, he did. We had kandoo wipes and toilet paper in the bathroom for him to make it easier for him. It took a lot of specific instruction, such as "Yes, you need to wipe between the cheeks" and "Wipe until the paper/wipe comes back clean." He was pretty proficient by 5, though.

JamminOutMama
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM
I'd hope so since they would be in school at 5
CrystalDawn2506
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Yes DD can wipe herself but she is rough with it sometimes because she was used to flushable wipes. She didn't potty train fully till she was 4 because of issues and just not being ready. So she has been wiping herself from the get go. Try using flushable wipes at home for a while till she feels she can do it herself with reg toilet paper that is what worked for DD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN