Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your 5 yr old wipe themselves when they go #2?

Dd5 still call me to wipe her when she goes #2 and I don't know how to teach her how to wipe. I've tried to show her and explain it to her but she says her arms aren't long enough, lol! When she does try she never gets herself clean. Does anyone else have this problem?? Ill be so glad when I can get through my dinner without hearing "mom I'm done come wipe me."
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Replies (41-50):
workoutmom2b1g
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Yes. My 5 and 4 yr old both wipe themselves.

maidjillian
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:17 AM

If someone hasn't already suggested this, try the wet wipes.  They make it a lot easier until they get the hang of it.

whoodathunk
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I babysat a 5yo, 80lb kid whose mom expected me to wipe his butt.  Sorry, that just wasn't happening!  She'd get mad at me cause he didn't do a good job as he was learning.  I just didn't give in.  

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM

My DD is 6 and will try to.  She does not always get it done very well, but she will not do #2 at school.

makelineerror
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I told my son he was going to start wiping himself when he turned 5. On his 5th birthday, he went in the bathroom and pooped. He called me in there, thinking I would wipe him like I'd always done. Nope. I put the wipe in his hand and showed him how to reach the crack and wipe. He's done it by himself ever since.
Eviesmommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Yup! I started making her do it herself around 3 1/2. I figured she should learn well before she started school because her teachers aren't going to go behind her and make sure her butt's clean. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I still buy wipes for my 5 year old because it helps clean her bottom a lot better than tp.

Karen2313
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Both my boys started wiping when they were 2.

kelliewhitney
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The 5 year olds don't wipe well :) Try keeping some moist wipes for them to use after they wipe with toilet paper.

Stephanie3804
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM

When my son turned 5 I still helped him wiped at first, but then I would come in give him the toilet paper and let him wipe himself. He does not poop at school, but just in case I wanted him to know what to do just in case. He does fine with it now and he's 6.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)