Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DS got ISS*update*

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
  • 65 Replies
My 4th grader got ISS today! He told a kid that was bullying him to "F Off" he did not use the F**K word. He just said "F Off". The kid that was bullying him got 3 days ISS. But honestly. I don't know if my son deserved to get ISS.

A little background on the school my kids go to. In the late 90's there was a school shooting there. It was a year before Columbine, and up until then it was the largest in US History. Since then the school has taken a zero tolerance to bullying. Which is great, but the issue I have today is this kid who is doing the bullying, his dad is the HS football coach. Now, we do live in the south, so as you can imagine, HS football on friday nights runs our small town.

I get the feeling had my son been the one to do the bullying, he would have been expelled.

My son has been punished. He is grounded for two weeks. No video games, no extra curricular activities. Just school, home, and school work.

Advise?

I had a meeting at the school today and got the full run down of what exactly happened. It's long and complicated story. All ends with they both like Sara. Well. The other boy told my son he was too skinny to be Sara's boyfriend. My son then said ' F Off'. Knowing the whole story from the adults that were present makes me feel better about my DS punishment. I also don't believe the other kid should be suspended for that.

Hope Sara's worth it to these boys!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobJar
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Bumb
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Both got in school suspension? What did the bully do to him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM
3 moms liked this

Why would you ground your DS for standing up to a bully? It sounds like the kid got what he deserved. (Probably not even ENOUGH of what he deserved...)

I would be suppotive of the ISS  because it's policy and you need to back up the school but then I would be  taking my DS out for ice cream because I believe in standing up for yourself and not being a door mat or punching bag.

BannerElkHogans
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:36 AM

wow that's messed up ........why the hell are you punishing your kid when all he did was defend himself because he's taken some little assholes abuse for long enough...........i would fight the ISS..........why put the offender an the victim in the same room for him to continue to be taunted an bullied! if it was my kid I would of rewarded him for having the courage to stand up for himself!!!!! reason like this an school policies are whats screwing up the school system's!!!

Raeanne1987
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:45 AM
Ok while I don't agree with being ran over like a door mat I do agree with your son being punished, I don't think our kids need to sware to get their point across and tho he didn't sat the actual word he implied it. I'm not sure on the ISS but maybe detention but that's the schools call.
Im not trying to judge or sound rude an any way just trying ro give my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Do you have a Student Code of Conduct book?

Our district sends out one every year with each child. There is a page in the back that had to be signed by a parent or guardian that I kept on file for the year that showed me they got the booklet and whether or not they could be photographed or not.

The book I got for my daughter had specific offenses and the consequences.

Look to see if you have such a book.

Veronica

RobJar
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm punishing my son because he knows what he said was wrong. He should not have said that. He should have used a different word. Leave me alone-that would have been sufficient. I'm going to the school this morning to talk with them about the other kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I do agree with you.  Standing up to a bully is one thing, the language used is another thing.  

I know you said the bully got 3 days of ISS, how long did your son get?  3 day ISS does seem low if they have zero tolerance to bullying.  What does that tell kids, if you are a bully you have to go to school(where the bullying is at issue)?  Does not make sense to me.  If the school really has a zero tolerance policy, what the parents do for a living should not be an issue.

VeronicaTex
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You might do that, however, as this subject came up in another post in Elementary School Kids, the disciplinary action taken for another child really is not your business,

Please do share with us later the results of your efforts.

Veronica-Former Elementary teacher for 21 years in the Catholic and Public Schools.

Quoting RobJar:

I'm punishing my son because he knows what he said was wrong. He should not have said that. He should have used a different word. Leave me alone-that would have been sufficient. I'm going to the school this morning to talk with them about the other kid.

RobJar
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM
My son got 1 day of ISS. I have a meeting with the principal today at 1030. I will see exactly why the other kid was non suspended.

Quoting nova.mommy:

I do agree with you.  Standing up to a bully is one thing, the language used is another thing.  

I know you said the bully got 3 days of ISS, how long did your son get?  3 day ISS does seem low if they have zero tolerance to bullying.  What does that tell kids, if you are a bully you have to go to school(where the bullying is at issue)?  Does not make sense to me.  If the school really has a zero tolerance policy, what the parents do for a living should not be an issue.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)